Deadline: 31 January 2022
Open to: journalist from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East
Benefits: eight-month stipend and other benefits
Applications are open for the Gordon N. Fisher/JHR Journalism Fellowship 2022-2023. The Fellowship is an annual opportunity for a journalist from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East to participate in the William Southam Journalism Fellowship Program at Massey College in the University of Toronto.
The Fisher Fellowship runs in tandem with the William Southam Journalism Fellowships and takes place over one
academic year – September to May – at the University of Toronto.
Fellows are able to choose from a wide range of university courses and activities, are free to audit any graduate or undergraduate courses and have access to the University’s many facilities. Fellows live at Massey College, a multi-disciplinary graduate residential college in the University of Toronto. There are no educational prerequisites for a Fellowship, nor do Fellows receive credits or degrees for work done during the academic year. The program typically requires auditing at least two academic courses a semester; one academic course must be taken in full and all assignments completed.
- Open to journalist from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East;
- 5 years’ experience working in media;
- Currently full-time as a news or editorial employee at a newspaper, radio station, television station, magazine or news service. Freelance journalists who have been working consistently in the media over an eight-year period will also be considered;
- Proficiency in English.
The Fellowship underwrites:
- an eight-month stipend that will replicate the successful applicant’s salary along with any costs associated with the program. The first monthly installment will commence with an end-September payment and conclude with the end-April payment;
- All university fees;
- travel expenses up to the cost of economy airfare to and from Toronto for the Fellow;
- travel expenses for organized trips during the program;
- a book allowance.
How to apply?
In order for an application to be eligible for consideration, candidates must submit the following before the January 31, 2022 deadline:
- An application form
- A curriculum vitae
- A statement of intent
- A proposal for a plan of study
- Up to three work samples
- Three letters of reference, emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit the official website.