Deadline: 19 April 2023
Location: Strasbourg, France
The ESF is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the support of excellent science through partnerships with European research organisations. They operate in the EU and wider European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the frame of our development, they invite applications for a Science Officer. The mission of this position is to ensure the completion of ESF commitments, coordinate ESF’s scientific activities and contribute to the development of new projects.
The position will report to the Senior Science Officer leading the Inclusive Science cluster of the organization.
This position will involve:
- Ensuring technical / scientific and administrative management of EU-funded projects and/or project activities within the project portfolio of the Inclusive Science cluster of the organization;
- Implementing ESF science management instruments according to defined processes and deadlines;
- Contributing to the development of new projects/programmes in close collaboration with senior staff;
- Taking responsibility for the management and achievement/meeting of budgets for EU funded projects/specific activities in compliance with ESF financial rules and delegated financial authority and providing information necessary to Administration and Finance for the regular production of financial reports;
- Contributing to promoting a climate of positive, trustful and respectful staff relations by encouraging communication and information-sharing, by resolving staff issues in a timely manner;
- Keeping up-to-date with relevant scientific and research policy developments.
The Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
Specific technical competencies
- M.Sc., but preferably Ph.D , with at least 5 years research management and administration experience;
- Demonstrable experience of project management, preferably in EC-funded projects in the context of H2020 and HE; experience in RRI-related projects will be an asset ;
- In depth knowledge of the Responsible Research and Innovation and the Open Science Principles ;
- Experience in the development of gender equality plans (GEPs) and in its implementation, mentoring in GEP implementation would be an asset;
- Hands on experience with gender equality in the context of climate change/regional development as well eas the integration of gender equality in research;
- Knowledge on smart specialisation and sustainable development;
- Experience designing and implementing participatory methods (open studio, co-creation workshop, stakeholder consultation, etc), particularly co-design of policy recommendations
- Solid knowledge of the EuropeanR&I landscape, the ERA policy agenda and and European funding programmes;
- High level technical writing and presentation skills;
- Good staff management skills in an international collaborative environment;
- High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems.
Specific personal competencies:
- Proven organisational skills and capacity to deliver allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Assertive with ability to influence decision-making;
- Ability to create links and promote networking;
- Excellent communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Excellent presentational skills;
- Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community;
- ction-orientated and responsible;
- Creative, willing to take initiative, and continuously improvement-minded;
- Ability to work independently within the context of objectives set by the Head of Unit;
- Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
- The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will start as soon as possible;
- The contract is offered for a duration of 18 months;
- The person selected for the position will be working from the ESF Headquarters in Strasbourg.
How to apply?
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 19 April 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the following reference SOIS23.
For more information please visit the official website.