23th – 28th August 2010, Vama Veche, Romania
The Luxembourg Institute for European and International Studies in cooperation with some partners organises an interactive seminar on a challenging topic with lecturers from Luxembourg, UK, Germany, Turkey and Romania. The topic of the the summer seminar is Beyond liberalism and socialism: searching for a decent society.
The ambition of the 2010 seminar is to have a critical look at some key societal models such as liberalism and socialism, their possible strengths and shortcomings, as well as at a few more marginal concepts such as utopianism, anarchism, communitarianism and the underlying philosophical ideas: utilitarianism, materialism, idealism, pessimism. What can be the guiding principles and values in the quest for a decent society – tolerance, empathy, justice, benevolence – and how to implement them?
* students, young researchers and professionals from both Eastern and Western Europe;
* young representatives of higher education, of specialized institutions, of political parties, of NGO’s, of the mass media.
Cost and funding
* The course fee is 395 Euro.
* The LIEIS offers a grant covering the fee of 395 Euro to the students whose application is accepted.
All interested applicants should apply by submitting following documents:
1. an Application Form
2. the Letter of intention
3. a two-page essay on one of the topics
All the documents need to be submitted to the EUROPEAN CULTURAL CENTRE by e-mail: [email protected]
or by sending to following address:
Centrul European de Cultura, Bucuresti
49-51, Sfintii Voievozi St.,
010968, 4th floor, apt. 16,
The deadline for application is 12th June 2010.