Open to: candidates with a relevant university Masters degree in Sociology, Demography or another Social Science.
Fund: salary is € 2.042,- gross per month
The department of Social Research Methodology, Faculty of Social Sciences, VU University Amsterdam, has a vacancy for a PhD position, funded by a grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
Research project: The influence of family and school on future life plans of adolescents
This research project aims to study the future life plans of adolescents. Attention will be paid to their ambitions for their educational and occupational careers, and to their intentions with regard to family formation. An important question is to what extent – in this era of individualization – the future plans of adolescents are still influenced by their social environment: the parents, the school, and the peer group, and whether this influence depends on the field of planning.
The PhD student is expected to:
* analyze survey data with sophisticated multi-level modelling techniques;
* conduct a small data collection among the schools that participate in the study;
* write articles for international peer reviewed scientific journals;
* write a PhD thesis;
* participate in the activities of the research programme Social Inequalities and the Life Course (SILC) of the Department;
* contribute to the teaching tasks of the Department.
* candidate with a relevant university Masters degree in Sociology, Demography or another Social Science;
* excellent knowledge of quantitative methods of analysis is required.;
* the PhD research candidate needs to be proficient in spoken and written English.
The PhD position will be available at the VU University Amsterdam in the Department of Social Research Methodology. The appointment will be available initially for 12 months. After a successful evaluation the contract will be prolonged with 36 months. The candidate will participate in the PhD programme of the Faculty of Social Sciences. Salary The salary is € 2.042,- gross per month in the first year, increasing to € 2.612,- in the fourth year based on full-time employment.
All interested applicants should submit following documents:
1. curriculum vitae;
2. names of two academic references;
3. a copy of the MSc diploma plus list of marks;
4. motivation of interest for this specific position.
The application materials need to be submitted by 5th July 2010 to: vacature-MT@fsw.vu.nl
or sent to following address:
VU University Amsterdam,
Faculty of Social Sciences,
attn. M. Karssen, Managing Director,
De Boelelaan 1081,
NL-1081 HV Amsterdam,
With any further queries contact: prof. dr. Aat Liefbroer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
More detailed information about the Department and its research programme