Deadline: 19 November 2010, 18:00 (GMT+1)
Open to: journalists
Prize: 4 best projects will be allocated €2,000 each, and €2,000 for the winner
The Associazione Ilaria Alpi, FLARE Network and Novaja Gazeta (the “organisers”) announce a competition for the production of an investigative journalistic video documentary on the theme of international organised crime and corruption.
In order to promote the circulation of information about organized crime and encourage and support journalists’ initiatives to analyse a phenomenon which now has international significance and deep local roots, the organisers announce a competition aimed at co-financing four journalistic investigative projects regarding the presence, impact and the social, political and economic consequences of organized crime and corruption within a chosen geographical context.
Relevant issues for the inquiry may include, but are not limited to: corruption, fraud, cyber-crime, drug trafficking, human trafficking (women, children, men, organs), environmental crimes, money laundering, smuggling, energy policies, sport match-fixing, illicit calls for tenders. Participants are free to propose
projects in any geographical area of the world.
* Projects which address an issue with transnational character
* The project must be in a video format, but the narrative method of investigation is the author’s choice (documentary, narration, interviews, historical reports, animation, etc.)
* Projects must be longer than 5 minutes, shot in video format (minidv, dvcam, dv, hd, hdv, etc.). Priority will be given to projects which last between 15 and 20 minutes
* Narration or subtitles in the English language is obligatory and must also include in the wording “Best International Organised Crime Report – With the contribution of FLARE Network, Novaja Gazeta and Ilaria Alpi Television Journalism Award”.
Projects must be submitted by sending a data CD with the documents listed in the Subscription Form (FLARE_Ilaria Alpi Award_Subscription_eng) and sent to the address on the “Subscription Form” by 18:00 (GMT+1) on 19thNovember 2010.
– November 19, 2010: Deadline for project applications using the “Subscription Form”.
– December 1, 2010: Announcement of the four selected projects and payment of first installment of funding (€ 1,000)
– May 6, 2011: Deadline for submission of investigations and payment of the second installment of funding (€ 1,000)
– June 2011: Prize-giving to the authors of the winning investigation