Deadline: 12 December 2010
Open to: lawyers and human rights activists, from Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltic States and the Caucasus
Venue: London, 27-28 January 2011
Costs: all reasonable travel and subsistence costs associated with attendance at the training will be covered
INTERIGHTS’ Europe Programme covering Council of Europe countries within Central and Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union is pleased to invite applications for a strategic litigation workshop on “Human Security and Migration” which will be held in London on 27-28 January 2011.
Throughout the region, migrants are vulnerable to a wide range of human rights abuses such as ill-treatment, arbitrary detention, servitude and forced labour, denial of access to justice, interference with private and family life, and denial of access to medical treatment and social services. Moreover, due to their non-citizen (often irregular) status, migrants can be denied or severely restricted in their access to legal redress both in theory and practice.
– facilitate cooperation and exchange of ideas and experiences between local lawyers and human rights defenders, engaged in litigation and other forms of legal advocacy related to human security in the context of migration
– achieve a better understanding of the nature and scale of violations occurring in this context
– exam legal strategies to address those violations, including the identification of applicable legal standards and appropriate international, regional and national legal fora
– increase the capacity of participating lawyers and NGOs to litigate abuses of human rights in the context of migration at international and regional level
– improveINTERIGHTS’ understanding of the legal challenges existing in the field of human security and migration and the ways in which we can participate in addressing them
– nurturing cooperation between INTERIGHTS and local lawyers and NGOs
Lawyers and human rights activists (from Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltic States and the Caucasus) who have experience of representation and legal advice in cases involving serious violations of human rights of migrants or victims of trafficking.
For more information, please contact [email protected]