Deadline: 28 March 2011
Open to: students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel, minimum age 18
Scholarship: full covered stay and traveling in Turkey
Kick start your travel writing career by going on assignment to Istanbul, Turkey with a Rough Guides author and then be published. Rough Guides is a leading publisher of travel and reference information, respected for their accurate, up-to-date content and informed contemporary writing.
We’ll fly you to Istanbul from your country of residence. You need to be available between June 7th – 28th, 2011 to participate on the assignment.
After spending two days learning the ropes with mentor Terry Richardson, you will research, review and update essential travel info for ‘The Rough Guide to Istanbul’, including accommodation, bars & restaurants, entertainment, shopping, tours, activities and transport, as well as searching out those local secrets that travelers want to read about.
Your mentor will be at hand to offer guidance, but essentially this is your assignment; you will travel on your own for this part of the journey so you must be comfortable travelling solo. Terry will assign you a specific area based on your travel experience.
Your work will feature in the new edition of ‘The Rough Guide to Istanbul’, placing your foot firmly in the door of the elusive travel writing industry.
*March 28 Competition closes (2.00pm, Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
*April 28 Winner announced
*June 7 Winner Arrive Istanbul
*June 8-19 Turkish Delight Tour with BikeHike Adventures
*June 20-21 Meet your mentor Terry Richardson, shadow for 2 days
*June 22-25 Solo assignment
*June 26-27 Meet with Terry to review work etc.
*June 28 Depart
*Aug 15 Rough Guides content deadline
Before you meet your mentor, enjoy immersing yourself in the Turkish culture, get your travel writing skills up to speed and satisfy your adventure cravings. BikeHike Adventures will provide you with the ultimate buffet of multi-sports activities with a 12 day itinerary on their Turkish Delight tour highlighting most of Turkey’s trusted gems. The trip includes exploring the fairytale landscape of Cappadocia by mountain bike, foot and horseback, strolling through Istanbul visiting the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Grand Bazaar and Palace and sea kayaking on the Mediterranean past ancient ruins.
* The scholarship is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
* You must have a high degree of proficiency in written English.
* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.
* Minimum age 18 with a current passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway, you must be available for the entire assignment.
* You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel and a burning desire to be a travel writer.
How to Apply
1. Write. Craft a 500 word (or less) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;
b.’Journey in an Unknown Culture‘
c.’My Big Adventure‘
It’s up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:
– great descriptive ability
– strong eye for detail
– ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
– excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
2. Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 200 word essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
3. One entry per person.
4. The entry must be submitted in English.