Deadline: China: 30 June; Russian Federation: 30 September; US: 15 October
Open to: holders of first degree from the US, the Russian Federation or the People’s Republic of China with work experience
Fellowship: from EUR 2,150 to EUR 2,750 per month,language course, travel expenses
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) awards up to ten German Chancellor Fellowships annually to young, prospective leaders from the USA, the Russian Federation and the People’s Republic of China with funds made available by the German Federal Foreign Office. The fellows must have shown outstanding potential for future leadership in their previous careers. The program is established under the patronage of the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany and addresses applicants from all professions and fields of study giving preference to the humanities, law, social and economic sciences.
The aim of the programme is to give young leaders from the countries mentioned above the opportunity to spend an extended period of time in Germany at an early stage in their careers. After returning to their careers in their home countries, they have the potential to become – because of their intensive experiences in Germany – intermediaries between their home countries and Germany as they assume important positions in the fields of economy, science, politics and society.
Applicants design individual research-related projects tailored to their professional development and goals. Before submitting an application, they must establish contact with a prospective host (mentor), who agrees to supervise them during the stay in Germany.
1. Citizenship of the USA, the Russian Federation, or the People’s Republic of China.
2. Bachelor’s or comparable academic degree, completed less than twelve years prior to the start date of the fellowship (September 1st of the year following the application).
3. Confirmation of support and a detailed statement by the host/mentor in Germany; details of the planned project must be discussed with the prospective host/mentor prior to application.
4. Expert references (no more than three) from individuals qualified to comment on the applicant’s professional, personal, and academic eligibility.
5. The applicant may not have spent an extended period outside his or her home country prior to application. Applications by candidates who have spent more than six months away from their own countries at the time of or shortly before application may be rejected on formal grounds. If you have questions reqarding your eligibility, contact the Selection Department of the Humboldt Foundation info(at)avh.de before submitting an application.
6. The Humboldt Foundation assumes that candidates will abide by the Rules of Good Scientific Practice during the application and sponsorship periods.
The fellowship stipend ranges from EUR 2,150 to EUR 2,750 per month (in exceptional cases up to EUR 3,650 per month). This includes a mobility lump sum and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
For fellows with little or no German language skills the stay in Germany begins with a mandatory four-month intensive language course from May through August. The fellowship is awarded for twelve months and commences in September with a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin, followed by the individual project work starting in October.
− an allowance for research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to 500 EUR per month;
− language fellowship for a one to four-months intensive language course in Germany before the fellowship commences (language skills can also be improved at the Humboldt Foundation’s expense after the fellowship has been awarded in the fellow’s home country).
− lump sum for the fellow’s return travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party;
− family allowances for visits by family members lasting at least three months (up to 326 EUR per month for the marital partner and up to 234 EUR per month for each child);
− extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contact with collaborative partners in Germany during the alumni’s entire professional career.
Application deadlines (date of receipt by the Humboldt Foundation):
For applicants from the People’s Republic of China: June 30
For applicants from the Russian Federation: September 30
For applicants from the United States: October 15
Complete applications must reach the following address by the application deadline:
Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung
Jean-Paul-Str. 12, 53713 Bonn, Germany.
Complete application documents (PDF/DOC)
Email advisory service: [email protected]