Deadline: 30 March 2011
Open to: experienced workers in East Africa region
Place: South Sudan
Salary: cover of all travel expenses, food, accommodation and stipend of 300 USD
Forcier Consulting is a research firm based in South Sudan conducting short-term projects for various UN agencies and NGOs working in the field of development. Forcier Consulting conduct baseline assessments, mid-term evaluations, impact assessments and other surveys and projects based on the needs of our clients. To date we have conducted projects for organizations such as Save the Children, Mercy Corps, Population Council, Norwegian People’s Aid, the NGO Steering Committee, UNHCR, and ILO. As the demand for quality research in South Sudan increases, Forcier Consulting aims to increase its capacity through employing full-time research assistants based in South Sudan.
The Research Assistant will report to the Managing Director and work on a portfolio of projects currently being undertaken by the firm. Specifically, the tasks of the Research Assistant are as follows:
* Assist in data collection and report writing of various projects and consultancies.
* Assist in the development of Forcier Consulting as a research firm, including compiling data bases of potential consultants, proposal writing, and other administrative tasks.
* Managing local research assistants, data collectors, drivers, and assistants as needed.
* Provide logistical support in managing contracts.
* Other tasks as agreed between the Managing Director and Research Coordinator.
Forcier Consulting will cover the cost of one round-trip ticket to Juba, South Sudan, as well as costs associated with obtaining the necessary travel documents for entry into South Sudan. Tent accommodation will be provided in Juba. Housing while outside of Juba will depend on the facilities furnished by the client (normally either a tent or tukul). A stipend of 300 USD will be provided to cover cost of food while in Juba, all meals are provided when traveling outside of Juba. The Research Assistant will have access to company vehicles for local transportation. It is the responsibility of the Research Assistant to have emergency medical coverage for the time of stay in South Sudan, although Forcier Consulting can facilitate acquisition of such coverage.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
* M.A. in Sociology, Anthropology, or other discipline with extensive research training.
* Experience working in a hardship location, East Africa preferred.
* Experience conducting research and/or monitoring and evaluation projects.
* Above average proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
* Above average writing skills.
* Knowledge of Arabic will be considered an asset.
Please note that the duration of the contract is three months with the position to begin with staff in country 15 April. During this time, non-work related travel outside of South Sudan will not be feasible. Working hours are 9:00am – 6:00pm six days a week (Monday – Saturday), although with travel and project requirements there will be circumstances where weekends are not guaranteed.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please send a letter of interest, CV, writing sample (preferably of previously conducted research), and salary requirements no later than 31 March to [email protected]. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.