Deadline: 1 May 2011
Open to: Ph.D. candidates in Law and/or Political science or Social Sciences and/or Humanities/ Philosophy of Human Rights
Salary: between €2.500 and €3.000 per month
The European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) is seeking two well-qualified individuals for a 5-month assignment as E.MA Fellows for the 2011/2012 academic year in Venice-Lido, Italy.
Functions and tasks
The E.MA Fellows will work as members of the academic and administrative unit of the E.MA programme based in Venice – Lido under the supervision of the E.MA Programme Director. The position involves a combination of teaching and various academic and practical responsibilities connected with the E.MA programme.
Tasks will include the following:
1. To act as a continuous academic reference for students. This task can be further specified as follows:
– To assist students in developing their Master Thesis research proposals to be presented in view of the choice for the second semester hosting university;
– To organise and handle, under the supervision of the E.MA Programme Director, the distribution table of students in the second semester universities.
– To provide tuition for single students or groups of students in need of special support;
2. To perform administrative tasks related to the E.MA programme and the
external lecturers coming to Venice over the period of the first semester.
3. To perform autonomous teaching and marking of curriculum units. This task can be further specified as follows:
– To organise and teach rolling seminars (about 20 hours of teaching time) introducing basic concepts of law, political science (in particular international relations) and/or philosophy in connection with human rights;
– To assess student assignments and perform teaching and marking activities under the supervision of the E.MA Programme Director;
– To set up and lead working groups and workshops incorporated in the academic programme;
– To assist and liaise with the E.MA academic responsible and other lecturers in the first semester in order to implement the scientific and educational programme;
– To participate in the first semester field trip.
4. To report regularly to the E.MA Programme Director and EIUC Secretary General about their activities.
Eligibility and Requirements
Advanced Ph.D. candidate in a relevant discipline (ideally one fellow should be researching on Law and/or Political science with a focus on international relations; the other fellow should have a research focus on Social Sciences and/or Humanities/ Philosophy of Human Rights or significant experience in a University environment; team-working ability; excellent communication and group management skills; mentoring abilities and understanding the needs and concerns of peers and students; experience in working with academics in an international environment; excellent knowledge of English, including drafting ability.
• It is indispensable that candidates have a very good knowledge of MS Word (including use of forms, fields and tables) and MS Excel (including creation of worksheets, formulas and sorting). In addition, candidates should know already or have the ability to learn quickly how to use Adobe Professional (preparing and editing of PDFs) and other IT-related applications;
• Knowledge of Italian and possibly French will be a plus.
Salary and Duration of Fellowship
The E.MA Fellows selected will be required to take up full service starting from 29th August 2011 until 31st January 2012. Gross salary per month will be between €2.500 and €3.000 per month, depending on qualifications and seniority. The Secretariat is available for providing more information to short-listed candidates.
Deadline for sending applications is 1th May 2011 at 10 a.m. (C.E.T.).
Please send a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and two recommendation letters in
English to the EIUC Secretary General, Prof. Florence Benoît-Rohmer and the E.MA Programme Director, Prof. Fabrizio Marrella via email: to [email protected] and [email protected] For exceptional reasons only, you can send it via fax at
+39 041 2720914 by the same deadline.