Deadline: 15 September 2011
Open to: Master’s degree holders in social sciences
Fellowship: Salary level 48 -54 (NOK 391 300 – 433 100).
The University of Oslo (UiO) is Norway’s leading institution of higher education and recent rankings place the UiO among the top universities of Europe.One position as a research fellow within one of the prioritized research areas at the Department of Special Needs Education is available: Learning, mastery and quality of life for children at risk. The purpose of the PhD Research Fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a doctoral degree. Applicants must meet the requirements for admission to the PhD programme and an application for admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Educational Sciences must be submitted along with the project proposal. The application to the doctoral programme should include a project proposal with a time schedule.
One position as a research fellow within one of the prioritized research areas at the Department of Special Needs Education is available: Learning, mastery and quality of life for children at risk. The project description should describe the specific problems to be studied, the choice of scientific theory and method, ethical challenges and how it is linked to the overall project. The project description shall also include a time schedule for the study. If the costs of the research project exceed those normally covered by the fellowship, the applicant must specify the costs of the project. The fellowship period is 4 years with a compulsory work load of 25%. The fellowship period may be reduced within the framework of pertaining regulations based on previously held research fellowship positions.
- A master degree or equivalent in Special Needs Education or a related master degree in social sciences or humanistic orientation. It is required good skills in scientific methodolgy. Applicants must document the requirements for admission to the PhD program.
- International cooperation and publication is central to the project so it is therefore important that the candidate manage English academic language.
- In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the quality of the project description and on the assumed academic and personal ability on the part of the candidates to complete the dissertation within the given time frame.
- The ability to co-operate and participate in scientific collaboration across disciplines is also of high significance.
The fellowship period is 4 years with a compulsory work load of 25%. The fellowship period may be reduced within the framework of pertaining regulations based on previously held research fellowship positions. If the costs of the research project exceed those normally covered by the fellowship, the applicant must specify the costs of the project.
- Salary level 48 -54 (NOK 391 300 – 433 100).
- A challenging and stimulating working environment.
- Attractive welfare arrangements.
Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae with uploaded copies of certificates and diplomas
- Project description, including a detailed progress plan for the project (maximum 5-10 pages)
- Master theses and other relevant publications (no more than 3)
Applicants for the Programme are required to produce a well-prepared project description covering the necessary scientific research study leading up to the dissertation. The project description needs to be of 5 – 10 pages in length, including the literature list. In the project description an account shall be given of the problems posed, choice of methods, a progress plan and information about the funding of the project. It is a condition that the plan is well written with all the necessary information and that it is possible for the evaluation committee to read out of the project plan that is possible for the applicant to finish the research and the dissertation within the standardised time of three to four years. The doctoral degree programme requires a full three years admission period as a minimum at the Programme.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. All documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.The short-listed candidates may be called for an interview.
For more information about PhD Programme.