Deadline: 18 December 2011
Open to: students on a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research
Fellowship: Stipend to cover educational, travel and living expenses up to $25,000
Symantec plans to begin accepting applications for the 2012 Fellowship in July 2011. The application deadline is December 18, 2011. Award decisions will be made in February 2012.
* Graduate Fellowship Program: Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D. and M.S. students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas of Symantec’s business interests in information security, availability, and integrity.
* Fellowship participants also gain first hand research and development experience through guidance and mentorship from a top scientist of Symantec Research Labs during the fellowship period. Each participant is also encouraged to spend a summer working with their mentor at Symantec on a research project in their area of interest.
Provisions of the Award
* A stipend is provided to cover educational, travel and living expenses for visits to conduct research on our campuses (i.e. reasonable costs up to $25,000 are reimbursed).
* Mentors from Symantec Research Labs are paired with award recipients. The mentor is a top researcher who can provide ongoing technical guidance on the recipient’s research, during their graduate training as well as during summer internships at Symantec.
* All recipients will be encouraged to take a salaried summer internship with Symantec Research Labs (Mountain View, CA, Culver City, CA, or Sophia Antipolis, France).
* Each recipient will be given a laptop preloaded with Symantec software.
*Awardees have complimentary use of Symantec’s Worldwide Intelligence Network Environment — an infrastructure for research experimentation within Symantec that provides unique access to current sampled security related data feeds used internally.
* Fellowships are awarded to recipients for one academic year and may be extended for a second year, based on the award recipient’s continued exceptional academic standing, progress and achievement. Any such extensions will be granted solely at Symantec’s discretion.
* Applying students must attend a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research. Exceptional graduating undergraduate seniors may also apply and final award is contingent on their acceptance to a graduate program.
* Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on research projects likely to have real-world practical value to customers, in areas related to Symantec’s businesses of information security, availability, and integrity.
* Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to-date as evidenced by publications.
* The scholarship awards will be made through the university and are not transferable to another academic institution.
Required Application Information
Applications should be submitted as a single compressed file (.zip file) and must include the following:
* A completed fellowship application form including a personal statement of research interests not to exceed 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the practical value to customers of their proposed research areas.
* A C.V. and thesis proposal (optional).
* Three letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research (may be sent confidentially, please see application form for instructions).
* Incomplete applications cannot be considered and we cannot guarantee notification of incompleteness. Please make sure applications are complete.
Application Dates and Process
* Fellowship applications will be accepted beginning July 2011.
* Application deadline will be December 18, 2011.
* As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
* The final award decisions will be announced in February 2012.
Please direct any additional questions about the Symantec Graduate Fellowship Program to: