Deadline: Three months before the intended research
Open to: Foreign experts engaged in the study of Chinese culture
Fellowship: Applicants receive CNY 3000 yuan per month
Chinese Culture Research Fellowship is established by the Ministry of Education of P. R. China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) to sponsor overseas scholars and specialists of Chinese culture to conduct short-term research and exchanges in China. China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) is authorized to handle the enrollment and carry out the routine management of this scholarship program.
Applicants shall be engaged in researches in the fields of Chinese language, literature, history, philosophy, education, economics, and ancient architecture, history of art, traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture and shall be supervised by a Chinese supervisor or cooperate with Chinese professors or experts in the designated Chinese HEIs to carry out their researches.
- Exemption of research fee; free accommodation;
- Monthly research subsidy: CNY 3,000 Yuan;
- Fee for outpatient medical service and Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- One-off subsidy for research: CNY 750 Yuan
- Reimbursement of actual traveling expenses incurred for academic researches based on the research plan with the approval of the supervisor or the cooperating professor: no more than CNY 1,000 Yuan.
1) Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense in the institution’s hospital or the hospitals appointed by the institution. The scholars are required to share a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution’s regulations.
2) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship holders in China against hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the appointed medical assistance agencies provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. For government scholarship holders, the individual claim will not be accepted by the insurance company.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens, in good health and under the age of 55.
- Applicants must have obtained doctoral degree or hold academic title of associate professor or higher.
- Applicants must have regular jobs engaging or mainly engaging in Chinese culture researches and have relevant works or papers published.
The applicants may directly apply to CSC for the Chinese Culture Research Fellowship or via the Chinese HEIs, organizations or Chinese diplomatic missions in the applicants’ home countries.
The duration of the fellowship shall not exceed 5 months. The fellowship can be extended once, but for no more than 1 month.
The applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely (in duplicate)
- Application Form for Chinese Culture Research Fellowship (filled in Chinese or in English)
Those who are available for online application shall fill in and print the application form after submitting it online.
The CSC Online Application System for Study in China is available here.
Those who cannot apply online shall fill in the application form printed by CSC.
- Contents and abstracts of published works and theses: in Chinese or English.
- Research plan: in Chinese or in English, no less than 2000 words.
- Recommendation letters: By the applicant’s employer; documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or in English.
The application documents should be forwarded to CSC 3 months prior to the time they plan to come to China.
Approval and notification
After receiving the application documents, CSC, within 45 days, will assess and forward the documents to the proposed institutions for admission. CSC will send the certificate of Award of Chinese Culture Research Fellowship, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to the successful applicants directly or to their recommending institutions.