Deadline: 9 September, 2012
Open to: All young EU citizens born between 1 January 1992 and 31 December 1992 are entitled to participate in the competition
Prize: Brussels Award Ceremony, Interrail Global Pass, Digital Reflex Camera, iPod Touch, Voucher for online shopping
The Generation 1992 Creative Competition of the European Commission (DG MARKT) invites young European citizens born between 1 January and 31 December 1992 to speak creatively about their understanding of the European single market, their opinions and expectations for the future, and to tell their stories and experiences related to the European single market. Judges will choose the winning entries and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these official rules.
All you need is the desire to express your views on what the European single market means to you… and an idea of how you want to tell what you think.
If you have something you want to say about the European single market, pick up your pen, paintbrush, camera, computer, tablet or mobile phone… and let your creativity flow!
You can choose between different themes and formats. Remember, it’s the story that counts.
- A photograph can say as much as a lengthy article.
- A simple cartoon can animate and encourage reflection on complex issues.
- A short essay can clearly explain a vision without complex technical or political terminology.
- A striking video can be made with a basic camera and a large dose of imagination.
- An easy-to-use app can put your vision at the fingertips of millions, whilst a basic app could make life on the move easier for millions of people.
- This competition applauds and rewards creativity.
- You don’t have to be an expert photographer or filmmaker with state-of-the-art equipment.
- You don’t need a degree in literature or political science.
- You don’t need to be a telecom genius or have a PhD in building apps.
- A trip to Brussels to attend the award ceremony (three days and three nights) from any EU city.
- 1 day’s participation in the award ceremony and conference.
- Guided tour through EC premises and social programme.
- Workshops with Generation 1992 Creative Competition mentors.
- Dinner at a typical brasserie/restaurant.
- Article: text must be original unpublished prose of 500 words or less. Text must be entered directly on the submission form provided.
- Video: 2 minutes maximum. Digital version: AVI or MPEG format, or the required format for the following platforms: YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, Metacafe and Dailymotion.
Selected finalists will be required to send the original version of their video (on DVD, memory stick or via a file transfer system).
- Photography: minimum resolution of 150 dpi and 600 pixels wide and 400 pixels high (must be suitable for printing) in jpg or gif format. Submissions may include up to three photographs.
- Cartoon: minimum resolution of 150 dpi and dimensions of 600 pixels wide and 400 pixels high (must be suitable for printing) in jpg or gif. Submissions may include different sizes of cartoons of up to 10 images – single panel, a strip, or a two-tier strip. Text in any of the 23 official EU languages or a combination of these may be included.
- Smartphone app for Android: Java format. All submitted applications must run on Android 1.5 All submitted Android applications must be uploaded on Google Play. Participants are required to submit the corresponding link. For Apple: ipa format. To be generated after developing the application with XCode. All submitted Apple applications must be uploaded on iTunes.
- Article: text must be original unpublished prose of 500 words or less. Two A4 (210 X 297 mm) copies required.
- Video: 2 minutes maximum. Send the video recording on a USB device or CD. Two copies required.
- Photography: Two A4 (210 X 297 mm) or A3 (297 X 410 mm) copies required. The entry may include up to three photographs.
- Cartoon: A4 (210 X 297 mm) or A3 (297 X 410 mm) and letter (216 × 279 mm). Submissions may include different sizes of cartoons of up to 10 images – single panel, a strip, or a two-tier strip. Text in any of the 23 official EU languages or a combination of these may be included. Two copies required.
- Smartphone app for Android: Java format. All submitted applications must run on Android 1.5. For Apple: OS format. Hard-copy versions: send USB with installable app; two copies required.
The Generation 1992 Creative Competition is not responsible for and shall not honour lost, late, damaged, misdirected, illegible, incomplete or postage due entries/mail. The Generation 1992 Creative Competition is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission.
Entries submitted online must be received by 12:00 PM CET on 9 September, 2012.