Deadline: July 6th 2012
Open to: Cultural journalists who have at least 3 years experience, good level of spoken and written English, and who live in one of the 35 countries participating in the Culture programme of the European Commission
Venue: 15 – 18 August 2012, Ny Cirkus festival (Copenhagen, Denmark).
31 October – 03 November 2012, CIRCa festival (Auch, France).
8 – 11 November 2012, Festival novog cirkusa (Zagreb, Croatia).
Costs: no registration fee and all costs are fully covered: flight / train, transfers, hotel nights, meals, tickets for shows.
The European project Unpack the Arts welcomes cultural journalists to offer them residencies in the framework of festivals, to develop critical discourses and circulation of knowledge, to further their role towards the (circus) arts and nowadays societies. Cultural journalists, critics, chief editors from all kind of media support can apply for the project.
There will be 12 residencies in 10 festivals, spread over 2 years (August 2012 – February 2014). Of course, as journalist you choose one residency to be part of . Each residency is held in the framework of a festival and is built following the same format: duration of 4 days, a moderator animates thematic discussions, lecture by key experts, attendance to 3-5 shows, meetings and interviews with the artists programmed and the hosting presenter. Some sessions, in particular the interviews with artists and the keynote lecture, might be open to the general public.
As part of a residency, each participant will deliver 1 article (2,000 words) in their language. The texts will be collected, edited and turned into an online multilingual publication, each article appearing in its original language and an English translation.
– Cultural journalists, including arts writers, critics and theorists, working for (online) magazines, newspapers, radio, television, new media platforms, or any other form of media
– Media professionals focusing on the performing arts – no knowledge of contemporary circus is required
– Cultural journalists who are still active in their field and have at least 3 years experience (students or newly graduated cultural journalists with no experience cannot apply)
– Journalists who have a good level of spoken and written English, and who live in one of the 35 countries participating in the Culture programme of the European Commission [check this list]
The partners will select 10 beneficiaries per residency, taking into account the geographical scope of the project and balancing genders, backgrounds and practices. Each candidate has to:
– Match the criteria above
– Be available on the dates proposed by the organisers
– Be motivated to participate and happy to meet with European colleagues in an international festival
- 15 – 18 August 2012 – Ny Cirkus festival (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- 31 October – 3 November 2012 – CIRCa festival (Auch, France)
- 8 – 11 November 2012 – Festival novog cirkusa (Zagreb, Croatia)
There is no registration fee to participate in the residencies. Furthermore, the organisers will assume all costs related to participation: flight / train, transfers, hotel nights, meals, tickets for shows.
– Fill in the application form in English and send it before the deadline to [email protected]. Please add your CV [preferably using the Europass CV template] and a covering letter. Include information on spoken languages and a list of recent publications/works
– All applicants will receive an answer before 22 July 2012 – all information sent will remain strictly confidential
– Applicants that will not be selected will be invited to apply again in November 2012 for residencies taking place in 2013