Open to: Applicants with at least 5 years experience practicing criminal law
Venue: The International Legal Foundation, The West Bank, 1 position available: February 15 – May 15, 2013
The ILF is a not-for-profit organization created for the purpose of establishing public defender systems in post-conflict countries and countries in transition. The ILF operates on the belief that indigent representation is crucial to a functioning criminal justice system. Without defense lawyers ensure that judges, prosecutors and police officers follow the law, reform and reconstruction of the justice system is impossible. By fighting against arbitrary detention, public defenders are often the first line of protection against human rights violations. For the past ten years, the ILF has focused solely on providing criminal defense services to the poor, first in Rwanda, later in Afghanistan and Nepal, and now in the West Bank.
The International Legal Foundation (ILF) seeks an experienced lawyer to help build a proactive approach to criminal defense representation for indigent clients in Palestinian civilian court system. Volunteer lawyers serve in the ILF’s public defender office in the West Bank for three months and are paid a stipend but receive no salary.
- Applicants should have at least 5 years experience practicing criminal law, either as a defense lawyer, prosecutor or judge.
- Volunteers should be sensitive to cultural differences and must be willing to work on Sundays.
- Fellows are based in Ramallah, where the ILF has an office and residence.
- Travel, lodging, traveler’s insurance and a small living stipend are paid by the ILF; however, the organization cannot be responsible for any other expenses incurred during the assignment (e.g. health insurance).
- The West Bank is a transitional territory, and before applying for this fellowship applicants should be aware of the potential risks involved in living there.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the Subject Line “Fellow- West Bank”. Please describe your experience, including any experience traveling, working abroad, and your preferred dates of travel.
You can check details on the official website