Deadline: 30 September, 2012
Open to: all participants who will upload a freely-licensed image of a monument in one of the participating countries to Wikimedia Commons
Prize: a photo trip to Hong Kong; besides that there will be a number of photography-related vouchers, ranging from 400 euro worth to 50 euro worth
International Photo Contest: Wiki Loves Monuments
Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest for monuments, organized by Wikimedia this September. Wikimedia is the movement behind Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – a global collaboration authored by volunteers.
Cultural heritage is an important part of the knowledge Wikipedia collects and disseminates. Everybody can contribute images as well as write articles. An image is worth a thousand words, in every language at once and local enthusiasts can (re)discover the cultural, historical, or scientific significance of their neighbourhood.
Every national contest will be able to nominate some of their winning pictures for the international contest. These nominated pictures will be judged by the international jury, which will then award extra prizes to the best images from all participating countries.
Image of monument should be taken in one of the participating countries
There are a few rules for photos to participate in the international contest. Most of these rules are also adopted as rules for participation on a national level. Every submission should be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded in September 2012;
- Freely licensed;
- Contain an identified monument;
- Nominated through a national contest
Next to that, there are a few practical rules:
- The participant should have an activated e-mail address on the upload platform;
- The first winner will get to choose the first prize etc.
- The main prize will be a photo trip to Hong Kong, connected to Wikimania, the annual meeting where Wikimedians from all over the world meet each other, with a maximum value of 2000 euro
- Besides that there will be a number of photography-related vouchers, ranging from 400 euro worth (second prize) to 50 euro worth (tenth prize)
The only thing you have to do for that is upload a freely-licensed image of a monument in one of the participating countries to Wikimedia Commons.
To upload your image use Upload Wizard page
Deadline is 30 September, 2012