Deadline: 20 December 2012
Open to: Candidates with excellent working knowledge of graphic design and typography
Remuneration: Food, accommodation and domestic travel expenses are covered + a small weekly stipend of £25.00
Peace Child International (PCI), a youth-led development and educational charity with consultative status at the United Nations, seeks a graphic designer/web designer to join our team of international interns beginning January 3rd 2012. This is initially for a 3 month period. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring young designer, interested in global issues and in building their professional portfolio, to gain experience on producing a publication sponsored by the Danish Government with a worldwide outreach.
- To design a publication of 30 pages which will be launched in January 2013 in New York on Youth Entrepreneurs. You will need to work closely with the coordinator and website team editor in creating the publication. See website geebiz.biz.
- To work with the digital strategist in the preparation of graphics for the website.
- To create any promotional materials needed for the NY meeting and other initiatives.
These are the skills and abilities our ideal candidate will possess:
- Practical experience, and preferable university training in graphic design;
- Proven ability to produce high-quality artwork and layout, with an eye for detail and flair for illustrative design;
- Excellent working knowledge of graphic design and typography, pre-press requirements and picture research/photo library procedures, as well as the ability to prepare files for output, ensuring all fonts, images and artwork files are supplied accurately to the printer;
- Familiarity with Mac platforms under the Mac OS X operating system is essential;
- Good knowledge of primary InDesign, Adobe, SC3 and Photoshop. He/she has to be creative and serious about his job, good at making layout design for printing, and also skills to make web design!
- Good command of English is also crucial, and experience with foreign language type setting (and partial knowledge of French, Spanish or German) is desirable;
- Need to be able to understand markup instructions and corrections, ensuring that appropriate corrections to artwork are carried out accurately and rapidly when required;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively as part of a team while meeting strict production deadlines;
- Experience of living abroad and working with people from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds would also be helpful.
We are a flexible, informal organisation – so you must be prepared to be adaptable, creative and pitch in wherever you can. This position is a residential internship located in Buntingford, Hertfordshire, UK. It is a small market town (travel time 1 hour 3O mins from London and 45 minutes to Cambridge). All volunteers live in communal accommodation and take turns shopping, cleaning and cooking. Food, accommodation and domestic travel expenses when on Peace Child business is provided + a small weekly stipend of £25.00. You will have enough to live on, but your real gains will be in work experience, contacts and personal development.
Please send a covering letter explaining your motivation to apply for this job + your CV and a selection of relevant design samples and/or web pages to [email protected]. Closing date for applications – December 20th 2012.