Deadline: 1 May 2013
Open to: candidates holding a Master’s degree or equivalent (e.g., the German ‘Diplom’) in Natural Sciences or a related field
Fellowship: doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years based on the regulations of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding
The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC – Jena School for Microbial Communication’ invites applications for 12 Doctoral Researcher Positions (TV-L E13, 65%) on several topics in Natural and Life Sciences.
- a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- a doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years based on the regulations of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding
- a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors
- a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills
- Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University
Please acquaint yourself with the open PhD projects and the application process described on this website.
Applicants must have – or be about to – obtain a Master’s degree or equivalent (e.g., the German ‘Diplom’) in Natural Sciences or a related field. Students holding a Bachelor’s degree from a research-oriented institution can also be admitted to the program if they have shown outstanding performance (e.g. making a major contribution to a refereed publication).
In general, those welcome to apply will be students with a degree in biology, chemistry, physics, medical sciences, bioinformatics, and earth sciences. Please check whether your research experience matches the open projects on offer during the current Recruitment Call. Applicants should show a strong interest in the JSMC research program centered on the overarching topic “Microbial Communication”. They should also be willing to engage enthusiastically in cross-disciplinary projects .
They also expect:
- high motivation and interest in joining one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the JSMC
- creativity and interest in shaping your own thesis project
- an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the lively JSMC Community
- very good communication skills in English (the language of instruction at the JSMC)
The application procedure takes place exclusively online via the JSMC ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL. Applications will only be considered if submitted online via this portal before May 1, 2013, 12pm CET.
The JSMC Recruitment is a three-stage process:
- Submit your application via the Online Application Portal: Please DO NOT send any other documents by email unless you are explicitly invited to do so. Applications via email and regular mail will NOT be considered.
- Telephone Interviews: Candidates with adequate qualifications may be asked to participate in a telephone interview for further evaluation.
- JSMC Recruitment Meeting: Candidates who successfully passed the first three selection stages will be invited to attend a JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, at the end of June/beginning of July 2013. Economy travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by JSMC. Successful candidates will be able to start with their JSMC PhD Fellowship shortly after the Recruitment Meeting (later starting dates can also be arranged).
The JSMC Recruitment Meetings are meant as an opportunity for both sides – candidates and JSMC members – to get to know each other. They therefore include various events:
- Candidate lectures (the candidates present their research experience in 10+5 min talks)
- One-to-one interviews with project supervisors
- Visits to Institutes (to get to know the facilities and future colleagues)
- Get-together with the current PhD Fellows of JSMC
- Joint dinner with project supervisors (to discuss future plans in a relaxed atmosphere)
- Guided tour through the town of Jena