Deadline: 15 June, 2013
Open to: candidates with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
Scholarship: starting at € 2062.-per month (gross) in the first year, increasing up to EUR 2638.- per month (gross) in the last year
Department of Electrical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands is looking for a PhD student to work on Smart Communication Networks.
As a PhD student you will address fundamental issues relating to the realization of smart communication networks, with emphasis on non-deterministic networks that can ‘learn’ how to rewire and ‘evolve’ as new applications, services and threats appear. You will experiment with new monitoring, operation and management paradigms inspired to biological, social and cognitive networks. To which extent can autonomic approaches work for heterogeneous networks? How can we apply ‘machine learning’ to networks? Which simple cooperation mechanisms are stable and energy-efficient? How can networks deliver perfect video quality? These are just some of the questions that will inspire you for the next four years. Your will interact considerably with other project partners and should be prepared to travel abroad to represent TU/e at project meetings and conferences.
- Candidates must hold a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- They will have a solid background in computer networking, machine learning, video streaming, and computer programming (in C++ or Java).
- Experience with network simulation and emulation is desirable.
- The candidate must demonstrate excellent communication skills and be fluent in English, which is the working language at TU/e.
The University offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university through a fixed-term appointment for the period of 4 years. The research in this project must be concluded with the attainment of a Ph.D. degree.
As an employee of the university you will receive a competitive salary as well as excellent employment conditions. A salary is offered starting at € 2062.-per month (gross) in the first year, increasing up to EUR 2638.- per month (gross) in the last year. Moreover, an 8% bonus share (holiday supplement) is provided annually. Assistance for finding accommodation can be given. The university offers an attractive package of fringe benefits such as excellent technical infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities.
TU/e also offers you the opportunity for personal development by developing your social and communication skills. They do this by offering every PhD student a series of courses that are part of the Proof program as an excellent addition to your scientific education.
How to apply
You can apply online HERE. You should upload the following (all in English):
- Curriculum Vitae, including the list of your publications.
- Cover letter (1 page max), where you motivate your interest in this vacancy and briefly explain in which ways you represent a good match.
- A copy of your best paper (in PDF);
- Course list of your Masters and Bachelor programs (including grades);
- Results of a recent English language test.
- Name and contact information of two references.
The deadline for applications is 15 June, 2013.