Deadline: 15 December 2013
Open to: highly talented individuals, under age 40, who have demonstrated outstanding commitment, integrity, and leadership potential within their professional fields and within their larger community
Fellowship: all expenses are covered including airfares, local transportation, lodging, meals, visa fees, and insurance
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our programs address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century. The foundation calls for applications for a fellowship program.
The Asia Development Fellows program provides highly qualified, young professionals from Asia with an unparalleled opportunity to strengthen their leadership skills and gain in-depth knowledge of Asia’s critical development challenges. The year-long career advancement program draws on The Asia Foundation’s extensive 18-country network and deep expertise working with innovative leaders and communities across the region.
The “Asia Development Fellows: Emerging Leadership for Asia’s Future” program provides highly qualified, young professionals from Asia with an unparalleled opportunity to strengthen their leadership skills and gain in-depth knowledge of Asia’s critical development challenges. The year-long professional advancement program is designed to be a multifaceted experience, involving intensive learning modules – short courses, conferences and study tours in Asia and the U.S. – to enhance leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program provides the flexibility for Fellows to design their own professional development component and to stay in their current occupations while participating in the program’s rigorous modules.
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan, Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and Vietnam.
- Have a demonstrable record of high achievement, and must show evidence of outstanding potential for professional advancement and significant impact in their chosen field;
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise – governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Have outstanding personal character and integrity;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by the time of selection: January 1, 2014;
- Be conversant in English;
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on April 4-13 and September 7-19, 2014; and
All program expenses are covered, including costs for coursework and programming, airfares and local transportation, lodging and meals, visa fees, and health and accident insurance. Fellows also receive a Professional Development Award of up to US$5,000 for their own personalized professional development plan.
In preparation for the application process, please secure the following: your passport information, an electronic copy of your unofficial transcript, an electronic version of your CV and a video recording device such as a cellphone, webcam, or digital camera. The Application has the following components:
- Application form (online application will be available from November 1st till December 15th 2013)
- Supplementary materials: CV and transcript
- Reference contact details
- Two Letters of Reference
For further information please visit the official website.