Deadline: early 2014
Open to: anyone in the world with an Internet connection
Learn from the best, master the essentials, get a global perspective and boost your job market value!
Join the Doing Journalism with Data: First Steps, Skills and Tools, a free online data journalism course with 5 leading experts. This free 5-module online introductory course gives you the essential concepts, techniques and skills to effectively work with data and produce compelling data stories under tight deadlines.
- Data journalism in the newsroom – This module is an introduction to data journalism. It shows what data journalism is, how it works on a busy news desk and what skills you need to know to practise it.
- Finding data to support stories – This module deals with the range of skills that journalists use to obtain data. This includes setting up alerts to regular sources of information, simple search engine techniques that can save hours of time and using laws in your own and other countries.
- Understanding your data I: Finding story ideas with data analysis – This module focuses on using spreadsheets and basic statistics to find patterns in data that will reveal story ideas and add evidence to the resulting stories.
- Understanding your data II: Dealing with messy data – This module addresses messy data – data that needs to be organised before it can be used. It covers the so-called ‘cleaning’ process, at the end of which the dataset can be analysed using techniques from Module 3.
- Telling stories with visualisation – This module deals with how to transform data into stories, infographics and interactive visualizations: the best practices and the principles of graphic design that a journalist needs to know.
This free 5-module online introductory course gives you the essential concepts, techniques and skills to effectively work with data and produce compelling data stories under tight deadlines.
Students of this course will:
- Benefit from the experience of top data journalists from leading outlets and schools, including the New York Times, Zeit Online and the W. Cronkite J-School.
- Learn to produce data stories quickly and effectively. Discover how to transform data into simple, compelling and informative visualisations.
- Find out how journalists from Europe, Latin America, North America and Africa have overcome challenges when obtaining and working with data.
- Future-proof your career by gaining the highly demanded data analysis and presentation skills that are necessary for many data journalism jobs today.
Comprising of video lectures, tutorials, assignments, readings and discussion forums, this course is open to anyone in the world with an Internet connection who wants to tell stories with data.
To register for this course, please fill in your details on the online registration form HERE. After submitting the form, a registration confirmation will be sent to your email. Following your registration you will receive updates about the course in your inbox prior to the course start date.
The course is scheduled to start early in 2014.
Visit the official website HERE for further information.