Deadline: 15 May 2014
Open to: students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change from any nationality
Scholarship: 2-day workshop in Berlin and 10-day trip across Europe
The three scholarship recipients will be flown from their countries of residence to Berlin where they will spend two days at the World Nomads Travel Writing workshop. There you will learn how to find a great story, create solid pitches, improve your writing skills and gain a better understanding of the travel writing industry.
After the workshop, each writer will be off solo on their own customized 10-day European itinerary. As part of the application, you need to tell us about the two places you would most like to write about in Europe. Organizers will take these places of interest, throw in a few summer festivals and some local friends, and send you off on planes, trains and automobiles across Europe. During your road trip, you will be tasked with writing about the people you meet, your adventures (and mis-adventures), and your local off-the-beaten-path encounters.
Applicants must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in English. You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer.
The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable travelling and working on your own.
Minimum required age is 18 by the date the scholarship application closes. You need a current passport with at least six months left before expiry.
You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.
The scholarship recipients will receive:
- A 2-day custom Travel Writing course in Berlin with mentor Alex Leviton;
- A 10-day bespoke road trip across Europe including transportation through GoEuro and accommodation with Hostelworld;
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Berlin;
- Enrollment in the MatadorU Travel Writing course (with 3 months unlimited access to the course);
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
The deadline for applications is 15 May 2014 at at 2pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time).
To apply you need to:
- Write. Craft a 2,500 characters or less travel-focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes: ‘How did I end up here?’; ‘The first time I saw…’; or ‘I’ll never forget the day that…’;
- Plan your itinerary. Tell the organizers about the two cities or areas across Europe you would most like to visit;
- Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 1,200-character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
One entry per person is accepted. The entry must be submitted in English.
For further information, please visit the official website.