Deadline: 22 June 2014
Open to: youth between 16 – 30 year old
Venue: 3-5 November 2014, Strasbourg, France
The Strasbourg World Forum for Democracy is an annual gathering of leaders, opinion-makers, civil society activists, representatives of business, academia, media and professional groups to debate key challenges for democracies worldwide. The The 3rd edition of the World Forum for Democracy “From participation to influence: can youth revitalise democracy?” will take place in Strasbourg, 3 – 5 November 2014.
This year the World Forum for Democracy will engage with young people and with decision-makers and opinion-formers in order to reflect on the patterns of exclusion and involvement and explore new ways of engaging young people in re-visioning today’s democracy. The Forum will also explore initiative and structures to successfully address the reasons for youth exclusion and create conditions for real youth influence.
The core activities of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions for youth citizenship and participation, and new governance solutions to youth democratic inclusion. These initiatives and ideas will also be discussed in a series of creative laboratories (labs).
In order to participate in the Forum, applicants must:
- Be 16 – 30 years old;
- Be resident in one of the 50 signatory States of the European Cultural Convention of the Council of Europe; 75 places will be made available for participants from other regions outside the European continent;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be supported by a youth organisation or network or informal group working on democracy; some non-organised individuals will also be accepted;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions of democracy;
- Be ready to dream democracy;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand.
Priority will be given to young people from marginalized backgrounds, minority representatives and youth movement organizations.
Only participants attending the whole event (pre-forum meeting and World Forum) will be reimbursed for travel and visa expenses. The Council of Europe will provide accommodation (arrival on Friday, 31 October, departure on Thursday, 6 November). Transport between the place of accommodation and the venue of the youth meeting and of the World Forum will be organised.
The application procedure consists in 2 parts:
Part 1: the on-line application form;
Part 2: 1 minute video posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the on line application form (see the You Tube Video Upload Note).
Remember, deadline for applications is 22 June.
For more details on the application procedure and the event itself, please go to the official webpage or read the Call for participants World Forum for Democracy 2014.