Deadline: 15 September 2014
Open to: all students having completed a master degree before the application deadline.
Scholarship: full financial support of 14,084 euro per year + free meals.
Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS), with headquarters in Pisa and Florence, Italy, is one of the most internationally successful universities offering ideal living conditions to students and academic excellence in the field of scientific research. Currently one of the top five universities according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities, the SNS mission is to select the best students and provide them with optimal research conditions. By joining SNS students will work closely with the acadenic staff, exchange ideas, skills and expertise through an open dialogue.
This year the University is offering 94 Ph.D. scholarships in the following areas:
- Modern Literature and Philology
- History of Art
- Modern and Contemporary History
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Financial Mathematics
- Methods and Models for Molecular Sciences
- Biophysical Sciences
- Renaissance Studies (joint degree with the Istituto Nazionale di Studi sul Rinascimento)
- Political Science and Sociology (joint degree with the University of Bologna)
The call for scholarships is open to Italian and international students fulfilling the following main criteria:
- having completed an Italian laurea magistrale or equivalent degree from outside Italy within 31 October 2014;
- born after 31 October 1984;
- have not been sentenced to prison for more than three years in final judgment.
All students admitted to the Ph.D. program will receive full financial support (tuition, fees, and a cost-of living stipend 14,084 euro per year, plus free meals). Students can keep the support provided they are making satisfactory progress during their Ph.D. programme. The University will assign further funding for their research activity and travel.
Students interested in applying for the Ph.D. programme at SNS shouls prepare the following documents in PDF format:
- Copy of a valid identification document; passport for non-European Union (EU) citizens;
- Recent Europass CV;
- Copy of the laurea magistrale (master) degree thesis, possibly with an English abstract. Candidates who have not yet completed their thesis, or whose thesis was in a language other than English or Italian, must present an extended abstract in English;
- Diploma supplement or similar documentation indicating the courses completed and marks and the final degree results obtained;
- Copies of any publications;
- Candidate’s research proposal.
These documents must be in English or Italian or accompanied by a translation into one of these languages.
Candidates will also have to provide the name and email address of at least two experts working in the candidate’s field(s) from whom the SNS may request a reference letter.
In order to submit the required documents, students will have to register online and fill in the online application form after the successful registration.
For any doubts aor questions about the application proceduce, please contact the head of the Student Services office Filippo Paoli – email: [email protected].
Further information can be also obtained from the following Student Service Staff:
Silvia Carresi, +39 050 509663 +39 050 509663,
Raffaella Franceschi, +39 050 509241,
Mario Landucci, +39 050 509237,
Silvia Zappulla, +39 050.509685.
or simply you can write an e-mail at: [email protected]
Remember, the deadline for applications is 15 September 2014 for the October session.
For more information visit the official website HERE.