Deadline: 1 September (for German applicants only) /1 March (for international students)
Open to: German/EU nationals and non-EU nationals who did not study in Germany
Scholarship: BA/MA: €597-€750 per month plus other allowances; PhD: €1000-€1050
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany. They expect their scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
For an undergraduate and graduate scholarship:
1. General student scholarships for German and German-educated applicants: Students in all subjects who are pursuing a FIRST DEGREE (Bachelor, Staatsexamen, Diplom) and who earned their university entrance qualification in Germany;
2. Student scholarship – journalism: “Medienvielfalt, anders: Junge Migrantinnen und Migranten in den Journalismus” (for Germans and candidates who study in Germany – Bildungsinländer/innen): This programme is aimed at German or German-educated students with a migration background who wish to become journalists;
3. International students on a MASTERS course in any subject who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen)and are studying, or wish to study, in Germany.
For a doctoral scholarship:
1. Doctoral students from inside and outside Germany for a doctoral scholarship in the focus programme “Transformation Research”;
2. International doctoral students in all subjects who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany and are pursuing, or wish to pursue, doctoral studies in Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen).
Special consideration will be given to applicants from the following focus regions: central and eastern Europe, the EU’s neighbouring states and the CIS, the Middle East and North Africa (especially Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel), transition and newly industrialised countries, and conflict regions worldwide.
Good or very good knowledge of German is required; please supply documentary evidence. The selection workshops are generally held in German. If a scholarship is granted, intensive German courses may be funded.
The scholarship amount varies and may include family and/or childcare allowance, health insurance or similar.
For undergraduate and graduate students
- who are German/EU nationals or those educated in Germany, the amount varies according to parental income or own assets or earnings: max. €597 plus €300 book allowance per month.
- For non-EU nationals and students not educated in Germany, the amount is €750 per month, plus € 100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances.
At the doctoral level:
- German/EU nationals or those educated in Germany receive €1,050 per month basic scholarship plus €100 per month research costs allowance.
- For non-EU nationals and students not educated in Germany, the amount is €1,000 per month, plus € 100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances.
They hold the application process twice a year. The application deadline is 1 September and 1 March. Please note: only online applications are accepted.
Applications are accepted from international applicants once per year – 1 March. The 1 September deadline applies to undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students from inside Germany only.
1. Check if you are among the special focus groups in this application round;
2. Gather information on the application process and the requested documents;
3. Register for the online application portal;
4. Provide the requested information in the Online Application Portal;
5. After uploading all of your documents, submit your application before the end of the application deadline.
The application portal will be opened about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
Contact: [email protected]
For more information, please carefully read the official website HERE.