Deadline: 19 September 2014
Open to: EU nationals, but also non-EU nationals provided that they have complied with the pre-enrolment procedure
Scholarship: varies according to the scholarship provider
The International Master of Arts Programme in Interdisciplinary Research and Studies on Eastern Europe (MIREES) is a second cycle Joint Degree (120 ECTS), awarded by the School of Political Sciences-Forlì Campus of the University of Bologna in cooperation with Vytautas Magnus University at Kaunas, Corvinus University of Budapest and Saint-Petersburg State University.
MIREES is taught entirely in English and is suitable for students with a background in economics, politics, international relations, history, cultural studies and other related disciplines who would like to acquire an in-depth knowledge of the post-socialist countries, the new EU member states as well as the new East-European neighboring countries of the EU.
MIREES combines a strong academic component with professional training, preparing students to become consultants, analysts and area experts for international agencies, public administrations, private and public companies, and NGOs, while also offering a solid basis for further studies at the PhD level.
MIREES students spend their first year at the Faculty of Political Science “Roberto Ruffilli” and then leave for a semester at one of the following partner Universities: Vytautas Magnus University at Kaunas, Corvinus University of Budapest, Saint Petersburg State University. The mobility period (of at least five months) can also be carried out at the Universities of Ljubljana and Zagreb.
In order to be accepted to the MIREES programme, applicants must:
- Possess a BA Degree or an equivalent title obtained abroad, legally recognized, in one of the following fields of study: law, economics, politics, social science, geo-politics, demography, gender studies, psychology, anthropology, history, philosophy, literature, foreign languages, cultural studies, agriculture science;
- Have a good knowledge of the English language (at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference equivalent to TOEFL computer-based 213 points or TOEFL paper-based 550 points or TOEFL Internet-based 79 points; IELTS 6.0points or FCE B, or a B2 level certificate awarded by a University language center);
- Basic IT skills.
At present, the estimated amount of the annual tuition fee is 4,366 EUR which can be paid in three instalments, or in one single payment of 4,279 EUR. However, available scholarships might be offered by University of Bologna for study grant, full exemption from fees or fee reduction, considering academic merit and personal income:
- Fee waivers: The University of Bologna will assign some fee waivers to students who enroll in the 1st year of the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Research and Studies on Eastern Europe (MIREES). The number and amount of exemptions as well as the requirements and procedures for the assignment of fee waivers will be published on the degree programme web-site.
- Collegio Superiore at the University of Bologna: Every student of Collegio Superiore receives a grant encompassing: a financial contribution to partially cover the cost of meals and studies; an university fee waiver (except stamp duty and insurance costs); a contribution for international mobility; a university professor as tutor; free use of the facilities and spaces of the residence where the Collegio students live; for students not residing in Bologna (or on motivated request) free lodging at a residence is provided. Find more info HERE and at the official page of Collegio Superiore;
- ER-GO: The amount of the education grant goes from a maximum of 5,192.56 EUR to a minimum of 1,342.53 EUR and varies according to the economic conditions of the family unit and the place where the student is resident. Fee waivers are also available. Find the detailed information HERE.
Read more about the other scholarship opportunities available for MIREES students HERE.
There are two steps the candidates should follow when applying for the MIREES programme.
Step 1 (only if the candidate does not hold the institutional user ID and password of the University of Bologna):
- Connect to Studenti Online in order to receive the institutional user ID and password by clicking on “Se non sei ancora registrato vai qui”;
- Register by providing all required information. Non-Italian students who do not hold an Italian Tax ID (codice fiscale) can click on “International students registration” and follow the instructions for the creation of institutional User ID and Password;
- After your first access it is necessary to change the password. It is important to keep in mind one’s User ID and Password as they will be always requested to access the personal profile.
- Connect to Studenti Online by inserting your User ID and Password (see First step);
- Click on “Entrance exams” button;
- Select “Second cycle degree programme” and click “next”;
- Select “Interdisciplinary Research and Studies on Eastern Europe” and click “next”;
- Download/print the application form;
- Download/print the study programme proposal;
- Attach the following documents in pdf format to the on-line application:
- Completed application form, including a motivation letter;
- Completed study programme proposal;
- Graduation certificate and list of exams passed with respective results;
- Detailed English-written curriculum vitae ac studiorum (CV);
- English language attestation of at least B2 level. Applicants must upload one of the following certificates: TOEFL – computer-based – of at least 213 points; TOEFL – paper-based – of at least 550 points; TOEFL – Internet-based – of at least 79 points; IELTS – of at least 6.0 points; FCE – B; B2 level certificate in English released by a University Language Centre (or the candidate’s self-certification, in case of attestations obtained from Italian State Universities);
- Attestation of essential computer science skills;
- Two letters of introduction written in English by academics or, if the applicant belongs to an institution, by the institution’s managers;
- Copy of a valid ID or passport, printed on both sides;
- Copy of a valid permit of stay, in case the candidate already has it (for NON-EU citizens).
Ms Elisa Landi
Degree programme secretariat
Dr Bojan Bilic
Mirees Academic tutor