Deadline: 10 September 2014
Open to: applicants with master degree in law or social sciences with good command English and Arabic
Remuneration: competitive salary rate for Geneva non-governmental organization
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) is seeking well-qualified applicants for the position of a United Nations Advocacy Officer of the Arab Regional Advocacy Program. The full-time UN Advocacy Officer performs advocacy, outreach, training and research duties in the context of the United Nations, as well as other tasks, according to the needs of the organization and its partners. As the UN Advocacy Officer you will be working with a small team of co-workers within the Geneva Office of CIHRS, as well as with a larger team of program and CIHRS staff located in multiple countries. Finally you will also be working with partner organizations and human rights activists from throughout the Arab region and around the world to carry out national, regional and global human rights advocacy campaigns and initiatives.
In order to apply, you should have:
- A university degree in law or relevant social science field (e.g. Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations, etc.). Master’s Degree preferable; an academic background in human rights is an asset;
- Very strong understanding of United Nations processes, international politics and international human rights mechanisms; experience engaging with UN strongly preferred;
- Relevant work experience strongly preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic, French skills a strong asset;
- Excellent analytical skills and a strong understanding of the political and social context in the Arab region and the human rights field is expected, strong public speaking and presentation skills, ability to formulate and carry out successful human rights advocacy campaigns;
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly, work extra hours (sometimes during weekends), work well under pressure and adapt to emerging issues and changing priorities.
Competitive salary rate for Geneva non-governmental organizations.
All applicants must submit:
- Updated CV or resume (including details of language skills);
- Cover letter, containing two references with email and phone contact information.
Applications should be submitted by 10 September 2014 to Mr Jeremie Smith – [email protected]. Please indicate which position is being applied for in the subject line of the email.
For further information, please visit the official website.