Deadline: 10 October 2014
Open to: researchers from Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia and Croatia
Fellowship: up to 20,000 AUD
The Group of Eight (Go8) is a coalition of leading Australian universities, comprehensive in general and professional education and distinguished by depth and breadth in research. The Go8 European Fellowship scheme recognises the importance of international contacts for early career researchers. The Group of Eight (Go8) Australian universities fund eight European Fellowships for early career researchers in Europe per year. Fellows will be based at a member university for a period of three to six months. It is envisaged that Fellows will continue to collaborate with Australian research partners when they return to their home institutions. The leading universities are:
- The University of Western Australia
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Queensland
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Melbourne
- Monash University
- The Australian National University
The fellowships are open to citizens of Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia and Slovakia.
In order to be eligible you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Have completed a PhD less than five years prior to application for the Fellowship;
- Have under 40 years of age at the time of application;
- Are a citizen of one of the designated countries listed above;
- Reside in one of the designated countries listed above (it need not be the same country as your citizenship);
- Have been employed (minimum half-time appointment) for at least six months prior to application by a university or research organisation (public or private) in one of the designated countries;
- Have sufficient competency in English to be able to adequately communicate with researchers in their host university;
- Are eligible to obtain appropriate Australian visa.
The period of each fellowship shall be three to six months and have a value up to 20.000 AUD which will be divided:
- AUD 2,000 provided to the host School/College/ Faculty/ Department to meet incidental expenses;
- Up to AUD 18,000 for: 1. travel, including travel within Australia (up to AUD6,000), these funds will be provided as a reimbursement to the Fellow based on receipts/invoices; 2. living away from home allowance to cover accommodation, food and the additional costs of living away from home (up to AUD12,000).
Fellows will be obligated to: carry out active collaboration with staff of their host universities; be engaged full-time with the fellowship and not in any other employment, paid or unpaid, with any entity other than their home universities; actively promote relationships between Australia and their home countries and between the Go8 universities and their home universities; take out appropriate travel and medical insurance for themselves and any accompanying family members; agree to provide a two page report on their fellowship experience within three months of completion to the Go8 office.
Application deadline is 10 October 2014.
In order to apply for the Go8 fellowship you need to regard on this steps:
- Download the application pack;
- Fill the sections about your general information and the research proposal;
- Send the application pack to your referee asking him to fill the referee report to provide information about you;
- After you submit these sections you need to send the application pack along with your CV to your prospective academic supervisor at your preferred Go8 host university (information about supervisors are provided in the application pack) and he will fill the respective sections;
Each applicant is responsible for making contact with a prospective academic supervisor in his/her research field who is willing to support the application and he will submit the application directly to the Go8 host university.
You can find additional information in the application pack and on the official website.