Deadline: 30 March 2015
Open to: Teams interested in development of innovative mobile applications
Prize: opportunity to cooperate with an app developer and traveling to the 2016 Convention of the TESOL International Association in Baltimore
About the Learnathon contest
IATEFL-Hungary, in cooperation with the Regional English Language Office (RELO) for Central and Southeastern Europe, announces a Call for Participation in an exciting Learnathon contest. The goal of the project is to promote the development of innovative mobile application promoting English language learning through a focus on global issues.
The Learnathon Event will take place between May 4 and 8, 2015 in Budapest, and will host teams who are to participate in workshops on computer-assisted language learning, app development, social responsibility, and entrepreneurship, and will collaboratively develop the plan for an app. By the end of the week, each team will be expected to have completed their plan for an English language learning app that raises awareness of a global, social or environmental issue, which they will present to a panel of judges comprised of professionals from a range of relevant disciplines.
- Teams must consist of 3 members;
- At least two team members must be early-to mid-career professional teachers of English or CLIL who have at least a Bacherlor’s degree in teaching, and 5 or more years of English teaching experience, and are currently employed full time.
- One team member can be a student in an undergraduate or graduate program, or be an early- to mid-career professional in another discipline.
- Teams must consist of both male and female members.
- All team members must have at least a C1 level of English language proficiency on the CEFR.
- All team members must be both citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Hungary, Checz Republic, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia
- Teams should designate at least one alternate member, in case one of the existing members is unable to participate.
- Teams must designate a ‘team captain’, who will act as the sole point of contact on this project.
This project supports inclusion and encourages individuals with disabilities to apply. Preference will be given to teams where members have not yet been to the U.S.
The team designated first-place winner according to the evaluation criteria will be offered the opportunity to cooperate with an app developer on the actual production of the application.The winning team will also be offered the opportunity to travel to the 2016 Convention of the TESOL International Association in Baltimore, Maryland in the United States. Other teams may be eligible for runner-up prizes. All travel and program costs for teams selected for participation will be covered by the event organizers.
How to apply?
Teams must submit an application using the online form by 30 March 2015 midnight CET. Only one team from each of the 17 designated countries will be chosen by the selection board comprised of IATEFL-Hungary and RELO. All travel and program costs for teams selected for participation will be covered by the event organizers. Within your application you will be required to upload CVs and Letters of recommendation
For more informations, please check the official web-site