Deadline: 1 June, 2015
Open to: junior (third year) students from a university in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Elite students in their first or second year who demonstrate leadership potential and dedication to community service can also be considered eligible
Fellowship: covers costs for tuition fee, room and board, travel expenses, settling allowance
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Dayton Peace Accords, the University of Dayton will award a one-year scholarship (covering the full cost of tuition, room and board) to three students from Bosnia and Herzegovina to study on the campus. As a student at the University of Dayton, you will take a variety of diverse and enriching courses each semester. Possible courses include:
- HST 313 Europe 1815-1914
- HST 314 Europe 1890-1954
- PHL 314 Philosophy of Law (will focus on 20th anniversary)
- PHL 351 Jewish, Christian, Islamic Philosophy
- PHL 371 Philosophy of Human Rights
- POL 214 International Relations
- POL 333 Politics of Human Rights
- POL 406 International Law & OrganizationsREL 103 International Religious & Theological Studies
The Peace Accords Fellowship is co-sponsored by the University of Dayton and the U.S. Embassy to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Applicants must be a junior (third year) student from a university in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Elite students in their first or second year, who demonstrate leadership potential and dedication to community service may be considered also eligible (in this case, please contact [email protected] for more information)
Up to three students will be selected to receive the Peace Accords Fellowship, which includes a one-year scholarship (covering tuition, room and board) to study at the University of Dayton. The U.S. Embassy to Bosnia and Herzegovina will provide the recipients with one round-trip, economy class international air ticket from Bosnia and Herzegovina to Dayton, Ohio, as well as a settling-in allowance of $500. The chosen students will be responsible for paying for their insurance, books, passport/visa and other personal costs. Winners will be selected on July 1, 2015.
How to Apply?
To apply for the fellowship, you must complete the following steps before 1 June , 2015.
1. Complete the application process for admission to the University of Dayton:
- Complete either the Application for Undergraduate Admission and Scholarship or the Common Application. There is no application fee;
- Submit a letter of recommendation;
- Provide an official copy of secondary transcripts (in language of original issue) of all previously attended secondary schools, including dates of attendance, all subjects studied, grades earned and marks achieved on examinations; any transcripts not issued in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation;
- Submit TOEFL score (or equivalent). A minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based (iB) test is required for this fellowship.
2. Enter the contest:
- Write a response to the following prompt and post it as a note on Facebook (make sure the privacy setting of the note is set to “Public”): This fellowship is designed to foster friendship and understanding between our two societies. Please describe how you would use your academic exchange year at the University of Dayton (UD) to contribute to strengthening these ties. Please give specific examples of what you would do at UD and in Bosnia Herzegovina upon return.
- Complete the fellowship entry form available HERE
For any questions which you may have please e-mail If you have questions, please email [email protected]
Successful candidates will be notified by 1 July, 2015