Deadline: 14 May 2015
Open to: youth leaders and youth workers resident in member states of the League of Arab States (36 participants) or in the Council of Europe member-countries
Venue: 2 – 5 September, 2015, Strasbourg, France
The 5th Euro-Arab Youth Forum aims to foster mutual cooperation and dialogue among young Arab and European leaders, representatives of associations and decision-makers, on the meanings and practices of citizenship by young people and the challenges they face in their paths to autonomy. The forum is prepared for youth leaders and youth workers resident in member states of the League of Arab States (36 participants) or the Council of Europe (36 participants).
Objectives of the forum:
- To contribute to the development of shared knowledge and to increase the awareness about meanings and practices of active citizenship by young people;
- To reflect on the meanings of citizenship within the context of Euro-Arab cooperation;
- To exchange on realities and challenges faced youth organisations engaged in the education and promotion of citizenship and human rights;
- To explore the role and practices of education for citizenship and human rights in building peaceful cohesive societies and preventing discrimination, hate speech, islamophobia and extremism leading to violence or terrorism;
- To present and give visibility to projects and meaningful practices in the Euro-Arab region that educate and promote citizenship by and for young people;
- To develop proposals which aim to involve young people in the issues on the Arab-European dialogue agenda (social, economic, spiritual, cultural, and political) based on their ability to challenge stereotypical images.
All participants must also meet the following criteria:
- Be aged between 18 and 30 years;
- Have a demonstrated experience in civil society and youth work;
- Be actively interested in the forum aims and themes and in following up of the forum within their organisations;
- Ability to write and communicate in English or Arabic.
Accommodation and meals will be provided, for the duration of the forum, by the Youth Department of the Council of Europe at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg. Travel expenses for participants from Europe, invited by the European Youth Forum or by the Council of Europe, will be reimbursed by the Council of Europe according to the Council of Europe rules.
How to apply?
All those interested in attending the forum should register and fill in an online application form. The application should be accompanied by a supporting letter of the sending organisation or institution which states the reasons why the participation of the applicant is important for the organisation. The deadline for submitting applications is 14 May 2015.