Deadline: 27 May 2015
Open to: students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change from any nationality
Prizes: scholarship including a 3-day custom travel writing course with mentor and Lonely Planet author John Vlahides and a 10-day road trip across the U.S.
Do you dream of hitting the open road and writing about your adventures? World Nomads and Lonely Planet have teamed up to bring you 2015 Travel Writing Scholarship. The goal is to find three talented aspiring travel writers to write their way across the U.S., Whether you want to explore the Pacific Coast, the deep south, Route 66, the Rocky Mountains, or New England this is your chance to discover the places and personalities that make America the confounding and captivating melting pot that it is. So, it’s time to stop dreaming, and get writing. It is a great opportunity for three budding travel writers to be mentored by a veteran Lonely Planet author and explore the U.S. on their own terms.
This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travelling from all nationalities, however, exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English is expected. Minimum age limit for this competition is 18 years by the date the scholarship application closes (27 May 2015). Current passport with at least six months left before expiry is necessary. The opportunity is designed to give applicants a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable travelling and working on your own. Applicants must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.
3 winners will be awarded with a scholarship, which includes:
- A 3-day custom travel writing course in San Francisco with mentor and Lonely Planet author John Vlahides;
- A 10-day road trip across the U.S. (including a $3000 USD stipend to spend on food, transport, activities and accommodation);
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to San Francisco, CA;
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads;
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 27 May 2015. For application is necessary to register online HERE. To apply, write a mini-guide to one of your favourite places or experiences that you’ve encountered on your travels. Limit your Travel Discovery to a specific location – a temple, a museum, a beach, a park, a train carriage. But write, what happened to you, why it was special, how it made you feel. Then most importantly, include tips on how others could replicate your experience (where do they go, when, etc.). You can also make some suggestions on improving the experience, things you’d do differently if you were planning to do it again. To apply, follow these steps:
- Write 2500 characters (including spaces) about your Travel Discovery showcasing your writing skills and your personality;
- Plan your itinerary. Describe two places in U.S. you would like to visit and write about on your road trip and why;
- Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 1500 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process;
One entry per person. The entry must be submitted in English. Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.
For more information please check the official website.
One thought on “Win a 10-day Writing Road Trip Across the USA!”
DO YOU WANT TO LIVE AND WORK IN UNITED STATE OF AMERICA?
ARE YOU WITHIN THE AGES OF 16 AND 40 DO YOU WANT TO TRAVEL DOWN HERE FOR A GOOD JOB,
I CAN HELP YOU WITH FLIGHT FEES DEPENDING ON OUR AGREEMENT
CONTACT ME NOW: WILLIAMBURTON@YANDEX.COM