Deadline: 30 June 2015
Open to: everyone as long as the work is original and previously unpublished
Prizes: 1st prize EUR 3,000, 2nd prize a week-long writing retreat at Circle of Misse in France (including EUR 250 for travel) and a 3rd prize EUR 1,000
Moth Production is an independent professional touring theater company. They started touring in 2011 and they play to packed houses across the country, villages, halls, hotels, GAA clubs and theaters. This year’s competition will be judged by Donal Ryan, recipient of the Guardian First Book Award, Best Irish Newcomer and Book of the Year from the Irish Book Awards and longlisted for the Booker Prize. With thanks to Circle of Misse for the second prize of a week-long writing retreat at their house, which rests on the banks of the Thouet River (‘thouet’ being the ancient Gallic word for ‘tranquil’), a tributary of the Loire. Entries will not be returned, so make sure you keep a copy.
The Prize is open to anyone that fulfills the following criteria:
- Entries must present the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published online or broadcast;
- You can enter as many stories as you like;
- There is a limit of 6,000 words;
- The name of the author must not appear on the same page as the story;
- Entries must be in English, typed, with each entry on a new sheet;
- No name or address should appear on the same page as the story;
- Entries will not be returned, so make sure you keep a copy;
- No corrections can be made after receipt, or fees refunded;
- It’s not a requirement, but it is recommended to purchase a copy of The Moth.
- 1st prize EUR 3,000;
- 2nd prize a week-long writing retreat at Circle of Misse in France (including EUR 250 for travel);
- 3rd prize EUR 1,000.
There is registration fee of EUR 12 for all entries.
Prize winners will be notified by the end of July 2015. The winning story will be published in the autumn 2015 in The Moth Magazine.
How to apply?
Send your printed application at the following address:
The Moth Short Story Prize
For more information please visit the official website.