Deadline: 22 July 2015
Open to: everyone with university degree in a media and strong interest in asylum, refugees’ rights as well as media & communications
Remuneration: EUR 751,00 (before tax)
The European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) is a pan-European alliance of 87 NGOs protecting and advancing the rights of refugees, asylum seekers and displaced persons. Their mission is to promote the establishment of fair and humane European asylum policies and practices in accordance with international human rights law. Working together with their members and partners to inform and persuade European authorities and the public, they monitor and denounce human rights violations while proposing and promoting fair and effective durable solutions. They accomplish their mission through research, advocacy and the sharing of knowledge and expertise. The purpose of this Intern position is primarily to provide essential support to the Media and Communications Team which consists of a Head of Communications, Membership Officer and Web Editor & Graphic Designer.
- Research and write articles and conduct interviews for the ECRE Weekly Bulletin and ECRE Website;
- Monitor and evaluate press coverage (i.e. produce an annual press coverage report and a daily press review for distribution among the ECRE membership);
- Work with the Media & Communication team in developing ECRE’s social media presence;
- Support the Media & Communications team in maintaining and developing the ECRE website;
- Substantially contribute to the drafting of materials for the press, including press releases, background information for journalists, answers to media enquiries and other communications materials;
- Undertake research on EU and national policies on asylum within tight deadlines;
- Monitor relevant EU legislation and events in the asylum area;
- Assist in the organisation of press conferences and Membership-related events or meetings;
- Manage the media and ECRE members contacts database;
- Assist with co-ordinating and developing the ECRE Media Officers Network;
- Maintain a picture and video database;
- Deal with general information requests;
- Assist with miscellaneous tasks and projects as agreed with the Head of Communications.
Education and experience:
- University degree in a relevant area;
- Knowledge of EU asylum issues;
- Familiarity with social media tools;
- Basic knowledge of HTML and experience with web-design is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the EU legislative process;
- Ability to present data and complex legal issues in a comprehensible and media friendly language.
- Fluent written and spoken English is essential;
- Good knowledge of written and spoken French and / or German an advantage;
- Working knowledge of other European languages is an advantage.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to meet short deadlines and work under pressure;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize between competing tasks;
- Ability to work on own initiative and assume responsibility for tasks allocated;
- Readiness and ability to travel within Europe;
- Interest in and commitment to the aims of the organisation;
- Enthusiastic individual with good sense of humor.
This internship is paid for 11 months EUR 751,00 (before tax) as well as Belgian Contract – “Contrat belge d’immersion professionelle”.
The Media Intern will be entitled to 26 days annual leave if he or she has worked for the entire previous year in Belgium. If service during the previous year in Belgium is less than the full year, annual leave will be calculated pro rata. Regardless of the legal entitlement to annual leave in Belgium, ECRE will provide 6 days of extra-legal holidays per year.
How to apply?
Deadline for application is 22 July 2015. To apply for this position, please complete the application form and return it to Thorfinnur Omarsson (email@example.com) cc-ing Rita Carvalho (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating “Application Media and Communications internship” in the subject heading.
For more information please visit the official website.