Deadline: 27 September 2015
Open to: applicants under the age of 35 from all over the world
Prize: cash prize of EUR 1,500, a GYMC15 Champion Trophy and trip to Paris, France
The Global Challenges Youth Music Contest (GYMC) is an online music video competition for young people organized by International Association for the Advancement of Innovative Approaches (IAAI), a Civil Society Organization based in Klagenfurt/Austria in cooperation with UNESCO Management of Social Transformation (MOST) programme, UNFCCC Climate Secretariat and other partners.
The overall objective of the Global Challenges Youth Music Contest is to use the power of music to promote the understanding of the importance of global challenges – like e.g. climate change – for every global citizen and to engage young people in activities that contribute to global and local public good in the context of goals and programs of United Nations system.
With the 2015 edition of Global Challenges Youth Music Contest (#GYMC15) the organizers aim to:
- Communicate the topics of the World Climate Conference UNFCCC COP21 which will be held in Paris in December 2015 to young people through peer communication (“informal global citizenship education”);
- Create and spread positive messages about youth led climate action;
- Promote low-carbon lifestyles and “think global – act local” values and action;
- Show to policymakers that young people demand strong global cooperation and bold action on climate change.
The 2015 Global Challenges Youth Music Contest consists of 2 main parts:
- The online competition which will identify 3 finalists;
- The TV Show (which will be held during COP21 at UNESCO Headquarters and will be globally broadcasted in cooperation with strong media partners) in which the GYMC15 overall winner will be identified through live on-site and online voting.
- The age limit for participants is 35 years (older team members, like e.g. teachers, social workers, partners from entertainment sector etc. are welcome, too but the main creative work has to be contributed by team members below the age limit of 35 years);
- Entrants must own all content (song, video and all parts of the content), or must have secured all necessary rights from any relevant third parties with respect to such content they upload;
- Only songs that are original in all respects are eligible to participate. No cover versions!;
- Songs that have been submitted to other online music video competitions (e.g. Rio+20 GYMC) are eligible for participation in GYMC15 unless they have already won an award in any international competition.
- The 3 GYMC15 Finalists will receive a Round trip for 1 person for participation in COP21 World Climate Conference in Paris, France December 2015 and the opportunity to participate in 2015 GYMC TV show to present their music and story on youth and climate change action;
- The GYMC15 overall winner will receive in addition a GYMC15 Champion Trophy and a cash prize of EUR 1,500.
How to apply?
- 12 August 2015: start of the competition with uploading online;
- 27 September 2015: end of upload phase;
- 1 October: internal jury presents list of 30 GYMC15 participants & start of public worldwide voting in combination with expert/celebrities jury;
- 1 – 31 of October online and jury voting;
- Early November 2015 public announcement of the 3 finalists;
- 3 December, presentation of the 3 finalists at COP21 conference Young and Future Generations Day;
- 6 December, UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, 2015 GYMC TV Show with live voting on overall winner.
For more information please visit the official website.