Deadline: 25 December 2015
Open to: citizens of Northeast, Southeast and South Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59
Fellowship: round-trip airfare, daily allowance, medical insurance
In 1996, the International House of Japan and the Japan Foundation jointly launched the Asia Leadership Fellow Program (ALFP). The ALFP seeks to create a close, personal and professional network of public intellectuals in Asia, deeply rooted in and committed to civil society beyond their own cultural, disciplinary and geopolitical backgrounds. The theme for this year program is: “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Vision For The Future?”
During the Program in Japan, the fellows from diverse backgrounds reside in the center of Tokyo and actively engage in group discussions and dialogue with counterparts in Japan from different fields and sectors.
The ALFP seeks to create a close, personal and professional network of public intellectuals in Asia, deeply rooted in and committed to civil society beyond their own cultural, disciplinary and geopolitical backgrounds.
- ALFP is a unique opportunity to share both “theory” (knowledge) and “praxis” (realities);
- Networking and trust-building among public intellectuals and building a common foundation for civil society in Asia;
- Making room for alternative voices other than the current mainstream and building a platform for dialogue among these diverse voices;
- A space where voices of civil society come together to address significant new issues in Asia;
- Through these networks, ALFP aims to stimulate sub-regional dialogue and to be a platform for envisioning new Asia and beyond.
- The ALFP is open to citizens of Northeast, Southeast and South-Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59, inclusive;
- Applicants must have a good command of English to engage in deep and substantial discussions in English;
- Applicants need to have a solid background in their own professions and have access to a wide audience in their country or region through publications, teaching, media, performance, etc. to disseminate their thoughts and findings.
There is no prescribed set of professions for an ALFP fellow; the professions of past fellows include, but are not limited to, academia, journalism, business, national and local politics, education, administration, the arts, publications, and NGO and non-profit activities.
The program will provide each fellow with the following:
- Round-trip airfare between Tokio and the city where the fellow is based;
- A daily allowance (to cover accommodations, meals and others incidentals);
- Medical insurance during the Program in Japan;
- Other costs related to group activities set by the Program.
How to apply?
Application materials listed below must be submitted by post and received by the ALFP Secretariat no later than 25 December 2015.
All documents should be A4 size. Use only staplers and/or paper clips; do not bind them together with a ring binder or the like.
- Designated application form completed, dated and signed.
- Curriculum Vitae in English. This must not exceed 5 pages in length.
- An essay of 500-1000 words in English. In this essay, please include the following elements and make sure that they are related to your experience and expertise:
- Reason for applying for the ALFP;
- What your participation in the ALFP will help you accomplish for your community, country and/or region;
- Your unique contribution to the Program and to other fellows;
- Your thoughts on the 2016 general theme of the Program: “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Visions for the Future?“ (See the explanation on page 2 about the theme.);
- Two Letters of Recommendation, signed and sealed (using the designated form), from people familiar with your work who can comment on your professional achievements.
- Two samples of your recent written works in English, less than 10 pages in length (short essays, newspaper articles, etc.). Written samples that are related to your reason for applying for the ALFP or to the 2016 general theme are preferred.
For more information please visit the official website.