Deadline: 12 February 2016
Open to: applicants with a Diploma or Master’s or equivalent degree of biology, biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics, bioengineering, medical biology or related fields
Fellowship: first three months, a tax-free scholarship of EUR 1,468/month, after that salary according to German law
The aim of the Cologne Graduate School of Ageing Research is to provide comprehensive training in the field of ageing research. The Graduate School has put together a structured PhD programme conducted in English. It begins with an intensive introductory overview of the research projects offered by participating faculty. PhD students thereafter typically choose three laboratories for rotation before a home lab is selected.
Coursework includes a method and logic training through a journal club, a comprehensive lecture series on ageing research, as well as seminars, courses and training in specialized methods, scientific soft skills, and career mentoring. A thesis committee monitors students’ research progress through regular reports and meetings.
- Candidates from all countries;
- The faculty offers positions in the areas of biology, biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics, bioengineering and medical biology;
- Applicants with a Diploma or Master’s or equivalent degree of those or related fields are welcome to apply;
- They also accept applicants with a degree in medicine provided they have sufficient relevant research experience;
- Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English.
All PhD students in the Graduate School receive financial support for a period of 3 years. During the first three months, a tax-free scholarship of EUR 1,468/month is paid, after that, students receive a contract of employment. Payment is based on the German TVL-13 scale (65%) if terms and conditions under collective bargaining law are fulfilled or on the support contract of the Max Planck Society (Promotionsfördervertrag, sui generis).
How to apply?
The online application is available and open until 12 February 2015.
For more information please visit the official website.