Deadline: 31 December 2015
Open to: applicants with a degree in a relevant field such as International Development, European Affairs, Economics, Political Science or International Relations fluent in English
Remuneration: EUR 781 per month
Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. Oxfam saves lives and helps rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. They also campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Oxfam’s EU Advocacy Office challenges EU policies to make them work for people in poverty. Oxfam International is seeking an enthusiastic intern to support the work of its EU Policy Advisors working in the areas of development cooperation, agriculture and food security, tax and inequality, as well as climate and energy. You will gain hands on experience working with the EU advocacy team of a leading international non-governmental organisation, develop your analytical and advocacy skills and acquire practical knowledge of EU policy-making and legislative processes. Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Monitor EU policy-making and legislative processes in the areas of development cooperation, agriculture and food security, tax and inequality, as well as climate and energy;
- Support the work of Oxfam’s EU Policy Advisors, including by conducting background research, drafting notes and letters, preparing briefings;
- Attend meetings with policy makers, other stakeholders and allied organisations, and report back on events attended;
- Take responsibility for at least one longer term project linked to the advocacy objectives in one of the areas of work prioritised in 2016;
- Assist in setting meetings with EU decision-makers for Oxfam EU Policy Advisors and high-level Oxfam staff coming to Brussels;
- Assist in organising internal and public events in support of Oxfam’s campaigns.
This internship is based in Brussels with a duration of 10 months and starting date 8 February 2016.
To be eligible all applicants should meet following requirements:
- Keen interest and knowledge of international cooperation and development, EU policies and decision-making processes;
- Affinity with the aims and objectives of Oxfam, supporting our vision of a just world without poverty;
- Education: academic degree in a relevant field such as International Development, European Affairs, Economics, Political Science or International Relations;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of French, Spanish or another EU language desirable;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently and deliver results with minimal supervision;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work within a team and with an international network;
- Computer skills: confident user of all office applications;
- A quick learner with a positive attitude and pro-active approach. Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively in a busy office environment.
This is a paid internship with an allowance of EUR 781 per month.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 31 December 2015. To apply for this position, please submit your CV and a Covering Letter in one document via email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the official website.