Deadline: 1 April 2016
Open to: independent media organizations, civic groups and associations
Grant: average grant lasts 12 months and is around USD 50,000
Each year the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) makes direct grants to hundreds of nongovernmental organizations worldwide working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions. In 2012, NED funded about 1236 projects in 92 countries around the world. NED encourages applications from organizations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transition.
Following factors are considered:
- How a program fits within the Endowment’s overall priorities;
- Its relevance to specific needs and conditions in a particular country;
- The democratic commitment and experience of the applicant.
NED is interested in proposals from local, independent organizations for nonpartisan programs that seek to:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law;
- Support freedom of information and independent media;
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values;
- Promote accountability and transparency;
- Strengthen civil society organizations;
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions;
- Promote civic education;
- Support democratic conflict resolution;
- Promote freedom of association;
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy.
All proposed projects must be consistent with NED’s general purposes as outlined in the NED statement of principles and objectives.
For more information on the types of programs NED supports in each region, please see where NED works.
Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months and is around USD 50,000
How to apply?
Application process is online. You will be asked to create a user account for your organization. If you have previously applied online, you may log in using your organization’s existing account.
You can also apply by sending all application materials via email: [email protected], by fax: +1 (202) 378-9407 or via post:
National Endowment for Democracy:
Attn: Grant Proposals
1025 F Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20004 USA
For more information, please visit the official website.