Deadline: 15 June 2016
Open to: holders of MSc or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related fields
Scholarship: yearly salary is EUR 20,047.38, additional salary supplements and tax deductions for families with children
The LogiCS doctoral program is a PhD degree program funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF and run jointly by the three Austrian universities; Vienna University of Technology, Graz University of Technology and Johannes Kepler University Linz. In the years 2014-2018, the doctoral college will admit 30 PhD students. This program is aimed at highly motivated students who want to work in one of three fundamental fields of computer science:
- Computational Logic: proof theory, computational complexity and automated deduction;
- Databases / Artificial Intelligence: applications of logic to databases and artificial intelligence;
- Verification: computer-aided verification, in particular model checking.
- From countries all around the world;
- Holders of a MSc or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related fields, and an excellent record of study;
- In exceptional cases outstanding students with excellent marks on their Bachelor’s degree can also be admitted;
- Previous knowledge in the areas of the doctoral college (computational logic, databases/AI, verification) is desirable but not required;
- 10 of the positions are reserved for female applicants;
- Non-native English speakers need to ensure that their English proficiency meets the doctoral program’s requirements to fully benefit from their courses;
- Applicants’ adequate command of the English language will also be assessed during the application interviews.
- The doctoral students will be employed as a researcher at a yearly salary of EUR 20,047.38 after taxes and social/health insurance deductions (effective April 2014; the average Austrian salary over all age groups is EUR 20,596.00);
- There are additional salary supplements and tax deductions for families with children.
PhD students will be employed as researchers, see Financial Arrangements for details.
How to apply?
Applicants should e-mail their filled out application form, together with all required application documents to [email protected] The subject must be DKLOGICS. Please attach 2 separate PDF files as follows:
- Application form;
- All other required documents in the order:
- Evidence of prior achievement; degree certificate (Master’s degree or higher) of a post-secondary education institution including course transcript and an explanation of the grading system(s) used in these degree certificates;
- Abstract of diploma / Master’s thesis;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Motivation Letter;
- At least two letters of recommendation; at least one of your referees should have a scientific background. If your referees prefer, letters of recommendation may be sent separately to [email protected] clearly indicating the applicant’s name;
- Certificate of English language proficiency;
- Scan of the applicant’s passport;
- Officially certified transcripts of degree certificate(s);
- Optional: Research proposal.
Applications can be submitted at any time. Applications will be screened four times a year on the following dates: 15 June, 1 September, 1 December, and 1 March.
For more information please visit the official website.