Deadline: 18 May 2016
Open to: applicants no older than 30 years of age and with strong interest in democratic activism
Fellowship: monthly stipend for living expenses, basic health insurance and round trip travel to and from Washington, D.C
The Hurford Program seeks to build the leadership skills, enhance the organizational talents, and harness the potential of emerging democracy leaders from around the world. Through the Hurford program, three young activists will spend four months at NED, during which time they will contribute to the development of the World Youth Movement. A project developing online discussion platforms to generate active engagement among World Youth Movement members around the world will be central to each fellowship.
Specifically, each fellow will engage in the following activities:
- Facilitate online discussions;
- Maintain a weekly blog for the World Youth Movement website;
- Conduct research on topics such as civic education, the role of youth in policy development, and youth activities against corruption;
- Develop online resources, such as a collection of related publications and training materials;
- Identify a current, ongoing activity, develop strategies for enhancing its impact, and take the lead in implementing those strategies;
- Take part in planning and implementing other activities of the World Youth Movement;
- Participate in relevant events and discussions in Washington, D.C., to deepen understanding of issues and build working relationships.
- Be no older than 30 years of age;
- Demonstrate strong interest in democratic activism and in the advancement of democracy in their respective communities, as well as worldwide;
- Youth affiliated with civil society organizations are especially encouraged to apply.
Each fellow will receive a monthly stipend for living expenses, plus basic health insurance and round trip travel to and from Washington, D.C.
How to apply?
In order to apply for this fellowship applicants are asked to submit the following:
- Applicant Form;
- Two Letters of Recommendation.
All application materials should be uploaded in the application portal until 18 May 2016.
For more information, please visit the official website.