Deadline: 13 May 2016
Open to: holders of a degree in EU law (essential), Master Level (desirable)
Remuneration: paid according to the Belgian framework of “Convention d’Immersion Professionelle”
ClientEarth founded the EU Aarhus Centre in Brussels. The Centre’s activities aiming at ensuring the compliance of the EU and its institutions with the Aarhus Convention are structured around four main streams: (1) ensuring a transparency framework through progressive EU legislations integrating Aarhus principles; (2) pursuing legal and institutional advocacy to change institutions behaviour and practice towards Aarhus rights; (3) assisting civil society organizations and individual citizens with their requests for documents, participation in decision making and access to EU Courts and (4) organizing events, trainings and disseminating information about Aarhus rights to stakeholders.
- Legal research;
- Reviewing legal cases and providing case summaries and legal updates to the team;
- Helping draft ClientEarth legal briefings and other external facing materials;
- Helping to foster effective relationships with key partners (for example in the European Parliament, Member States, industry, other NGOs), including preparing presentations on relevant legal issues and providing legal research capacity;
- Monitoring political developments at EU, international and national levels in the development of the legislative framework implementing the Aarhus Convention and which are relevant to the work of the team;
- Producing briefing notes for staff on the basis of guided but independent research;
- Coordinate with the Communications team to maintain relevant web pages, as well as to disseminate timely updates via blogs, press releases and social media outlets;
- Liaise with external partners, organisations and individuals as required by the projects within the Aarhus team
- Edit, format and proof-read documents;
- Although you will be mainly supporting the work of this specific programme you might be required occasionally to provide ad hoc support to other programmes or organisational processes.
- A degree in EU law (essential), Master Level (desirable);
- Strong legal research skills (essential);
- Experience of working in a not-for-profit organisation or legal environment (desirable);
- An interest in environmental issues (desirable).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – ability to communicate new and complex concepts logically and effectively (essential);
- Fluent in English and another European language (essential);
- Ability to approach problems creatively and critically to help identify solutions (essential);
- Reliable and committed team member with strong interpersonal skills (essential);
- Ability to adapt language, both oral and written, to different audiences (essential);
- Experience of responding to competing deadlines and managing multiple tasks and priorities within a working environment (desirable);
- Ability to execute work independently and take the initiative when required (desirable);
- Core IT skills -Able able to use MS Office, Internet, databases, teleconferencing and social media (desirable).
The internship is paid according to the Belgian legal framework of “Convention d’Immersion Professionelle”.
The interns will have to commit to this internship on a full time basis (37.5 hours per week). However, when this is not possible, a minimum of 3 days per week for at least 5 months commitment is required for the specific role.
How to apply?
Please send us your CV along with the completed internship form and equality monitoring form. This form will be separated from your application and will only be used for monitoring purposes by ClientEarth’s HR team.
Please include “EU Aarhus Centre intern – Brussels” in the email subject line, and identify the documents you are sending by including “[your name] internship form” and “[your name] CV” in the file name. Please don’t put your name on the equality monitoring form.
Send you application by email to [email protected]. Deadline for applying is 13 May 2016.
For more information please visit the official website.