Deadline: 2 November 2016
Open to: residents from a country in sub-Saharan Africa
Fellowship: dissertation-completion fellowship/ early career postdoctoral fellowship/ residential allowance
The African Humanities Program (AHP) seeks to reinvigorate the humanities in Africa through fellowship competitions and related activities in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda. In partnership with the Carnegie Corporation of New York, which has generously provided funding, AHP offers African scholars an integrated set of opportunities to develop individual capacities and to promote formation of scholarly networks. The African Humanities Program supports the Carnegie Corporation’s efforts to develop and retain African academics at universities in Africa.
- Doctoral candidates in the final year of writing the dissertation;
- Scholars who have obtained the PhD within the past eight years;
- Be citizens of a sub-Saharan African country residing and working in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda;
- Proposed projects must be in the humanities, defined by the study of history, language, and culture, and by qualitative approaches in research (the list of humanities disciplines includes anthropology, archaeology, studies of the fine and performing arts, history, linguistics, literature studies, studies of religion, and philosophy).
- The total funding for a Dissertation-Completion Fellowship is 12,000 USD comprised of a stipend of 11,000 USD and a book and media allowance of 1,000 USD;
- The total funding for an Early Career Postdoctoral Fellowship is 19,000 USD, comprised of a stipend of 18,000 and a book and media allowance of 1,000 USD;
- The optional Residential Allowance is 5,000 USD, which will be paid directly to the selected institute for advanced study hosting the AHP fellowship recipient.
How to apply?
In order to apply please download the application HERE. Please see the instructions HERE in order to finish the application. The finished applications should be sent to [email protected] with all application materials included as attachments to one single email. The subject line of the email should include the applicant’s surname and the phrase “AHP application”.
For more information please visit the official call.