Open to: anyone who has background in international affairs, political science, international human rights, or journalism
Position: full-time, temporary position that will last approximately 24 weeks
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. Freedom House is a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, Freedom House support the right of every individual to be free. The Research Assistant will have the opportunity to become involved with diverse activities associated with the research, production, and communications of Freedom House’s survey of the former Eastern Bloc and former Soviet Union, Nations in Transit. Assigned duties will depend on the particular prior experiences and skills of the assistant.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Some graduate school experience in related field preferred;
- Background in international affairs, political science, international human rights, or journalism;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated experience copy-editing texts for publication in English preferred;
- Study or work experience on the Nations in Transit region required; Balkans or Baltics experience preferred;
- Knowledge of a Nations in Transit regional language required; Balkan or Baltic languages preferred;
- Comfort and familiarity using Twitter for professional communications purposes preferred;
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Strong ability to ask questions, learn, and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to details;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- This is a full-time, temporary position that will last approximately 24 weeks;
- The position is based in New York and reports to the Nations in Transit Project Director.
- Conduct research and writing in support of Nations in Transit;
- Assist in editing country reports and other documents for Nations in Transit;
- Assist in development of Nations in Transit web and social media presence;
- Assist with the development of presentation materials;
- Other administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned.
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the application.
For more information please read the official call.