Deadline: 20 December, 2016
Open to: for print, broadcast, and online media professionals (journalists, editors, media administrators
Scholarship: round-trip travel from participant’s home city to the U.S, Living allowance to cover housing, meals, and incidentals
The Macedonia Media Leaders Program (MMLP) is a professional development program for Macedonian journalists and media professionals. MMLP strives to strengthen media in Macedonia by working with media professionals in fostering leadership skills, developing media professionalism, and expanding professional networks. MMLP is funded by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Skopje and includes the following program activities:
- Fellowship with U.S. Host Institution: MMLP leaders are carefully matched with a media outlet, nonprofit organization, or other media-focused institution for four months of hands-on experience in the United States;
- Media and Leadership Training: While working with their U.S. host organizations, MMLP leaders engage in a series of media and leadership trainings online and in-person;
- Networking Opportunities: MMLP leaders are provided with opportunities to network with media professionals and media outlets in the United States.
- Candidates will be considered without respect to race, color, religion, national origin, or gender;
Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply;
Print, broadcast, and online media professionals (journalists, editors, media administrators, etc.), but applications from public relations professionals involved with the media may also be taken into consideration.
- Is a citizen of Macedonia. (U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S., and individuals who have applied for U.S. permanent residency in the past three years are not eligible for this program.);
- Is currently living in Macedonia at the time of application. (Individuals participating in academic, training, or research programs in the U.S. at the time of application, and individuals residing or working outside their home country at the time of application, are not eligible for this program.);
- Has at least two years of professional experience as a journalist or media professional at the time of application. • Is able to begin the program in the United States in August of 2017, and is committed to returning to Macedonia for a period of two years after completion of the program;
- Is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa. (Individuals who have participated in an exchange visitor program sponsored or funded by the U.S. Government who have not fulfilled their two-year home residency requirement by the time of application are not eligible for this program.);
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application. (Note: program finalists will be required to take the TOEFL exam or provide IREX with a copy of TOEFL or IELTS results from a test taken within the last five years.)
- J-1 visa support;
- Accident and sickness coverage;
- Round-trip travel from participant’s home city to the U.S;
- Living allowance to cover housing, meals, and incidentals.
How to Apply?
- Submit completed Macedonia Media Leaders Program application and all additional required documents;
- Application forms can be downloaded from and must be submitted with additional required documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Answer all questions by typing responses on the application in English. Hand-written responses will not be accepted.
Include your full legal name, including family name (surname) and given (first) name as spelled on your international passport (if available) or government-issued identification.
Include complete contact information (including postal codes for all addresses and city/country codes for all phone numbers).Do not translate street or city names into English, but please spell with the English alphabet. All questions must be completed. If a question does not apply to you, enter N/A (not applicable).