Deadline: 31 August 2017
Open to: applicants of non-Japanese nationality
Benefits: fully funded research and stay
“Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace,” MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications;
- Applicants must be 49 years old or under;
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan;
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present;
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF;
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
- There are 20 fellowships each year for a period of from three to six months;
- Stipend includes research and stay, insurance, air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and a lump sum on arrival;
- Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months;
- The commencing month and ending month between April 2018 to March 2019;
- Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research;
- However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF cannot give counsel or advice to an applicant concerning his/her host institution in Japan.
How to apply?
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF, or, download the announcement from the webpage of MIF. Then, print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail. Applications must be received by MIF by August 31, 2017, at the latest.
For more information please visit the official website.