Deadline: 15 September 2017
Open to: applicants already holding the PhD degree
Fellowship: stipend of USD 86,600
The Princeton Society of Fellows, an interdisciplinary group of scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and selected natural sciences, invites applications for the 2018-2021 Fellowship competition.
- a) Applicants already holding the PhD degree at time of application:
You must have received your degree between January 1, 2016 and September 15, 2017:
The receipt of the PhD is determined by the date on which you fulfilled all requirements for the degree at your institution, including the defense and filing of the dissertation.You will be asked to upload a document on the application site with evidence of completion of all requirements for the PhD degree (either your formal PhD certificate or a degree confirmation letter from your advisor).
- b) Applicants who are ABD (All But Dissertation) at time of application:
If you will not meet the September 15, 2017, deadline for receipt of PhD but are expected to have fulfilled all conditions for the degree, including defense and filing of dissertation, by June 15, 2018, you may still apply for a postdoctoral fellowship provided you have completed a substantial portion of the dissertation (approximately half).You will be asked to upload a letter on the application site confirming your “progress to degree” from either your Department Chair or your Director of Graduate Studies.Please note that ABD candidates who are awarded a fellowship will be asked to provide a document from either the Registrar or Dean of their Graduate School by June 15, 2018, to confirm completion of all requirements for the Ph.D.
- Recipients of doctorates in Education (Ed.D. or Ph.D. degrees), doctorates of Jurisprudence, and candidates for/recipients of Ph.D. degrees from Princeton University are not eligible to apply;
- If you have already applied to the Princeton Society of Fellows, you may not apply a second time.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have received no more than one year of research-only funding past the Ph.D. degree.
- Fellowships will be awarded to applicants at the beginning of their academic career. Applicants must have already demonstrated outstanding scholarly achievement and excellence in teaching. Their work should also show evidence of unusual promise. The Society has a particular interest in fostering innovative interdisciplinary approaches in the humanities and social sciences.
- Fellows must reside in or near Princeton during the academic year of their fellowship term in order that they can attend weekly seminars and other events on campus.
- Four three-year Postdoctoral Fellowships will be awarded this year. The stipend for each of the three years of the fellowship will be approximately USD 86,600;
- In addition, fellows are provided with a shared office, a personal computer, a research account of $5,000 a year, access to university grants, benefits and other resources;
- Fellows are expected to reside in or near Princeton during the academic year in order to attend weekly seminars and participate fully in the intellectual life of the Society;
- All candidates will be informed of the status of their application by the end of January 2018. Interviews will take place in early February;
- The Society will reimburse the cost of travel and lodging associated with the interview. Names of fellowship winners will be posted on the Society of Fellows’ website in July 2018.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
Also, the following application items should be uploaded by the applicant:
- Cover letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Dissertation abstract;
- Writing sample: one chapter of the dissertation or one published article related to the dissertation topic;
- Research proposal;
- Two-course proposals;
- For ABD (All But Dissertation) candidates : letter of “Progress to Degree” from the director of graduate studies or department chair. For applicants with PhD degree : document confirming your completion of all requirements for the Ph.D. degree;
- Names and email addresses of three referees, who will be contacted with an invitation to upload their confidential letter of recommendation to the online portal once the application has been submitted.
For more information, please visit the official web page.