Deadline: 15th October 2017
Open to: candidates with doctorates in the fields of religion and to those with primary competence in other humanities, social science, and public policy fields
Benefits: USD 60,000 (salary), health benefits and reimbursement of some expenses
Each year Harvard Divinity School selects five candidates for full-time Research Associate and Visiting Faculty positions in its Women’s Studies in Religion Program. Proposals for book-length research projects using both religion and gender as central categories of analysis are welcomed. They may address women and religion in any time, place, or religious tradition, and may utilize disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches from across the fields of theology, the humanities, and the social sciences.
Research Associates are required to be in full-time residence at Harvard Divinity School while carrying out their proposed research projects during the academic year. Associates meet together regularly for collective discussion of research in progress. Each associate teaches a one-semester course related to the research project, and the associates present their research in a public lecture series and at an annual conference.
Positions are open to candidates with doctorates in the fields of religion and to those with primary competence in other humanities, social science, and public policy fields who demonstrate a serious interest in religion and hold appropriate degrees in those fields. Selection criteria emphasize the quality of the applicant’s research prospectus, outlining objectives and methods; its fit with the Program’s research priorities; the significance of the contribution of the proposed research to the study of religion, gender, and to its field; and an agreement to produce a publishable piece of work.
Applicants for the 2018–19 academic year must have received the PhD by October 1, 2017. Applications from those whose degrees have not yet been awarded will not be considered.
Salary for 2018–19 is USD 60,000. The appointment is full-time, lasting ten months, and includes health benefits and reimbursement of some expenses.
How to apply?
If you have a previous or current affiliation with Harvard University and an active HarvardKey, you may proceed directly to the WSRP online application and log in with your HarvardKey.
If you do not have an active HarvardKey, you must create a log-on ID and password using the Harvard University XID system before beginning your application. The steps are as follows:
- On the XID website, follow all links for “New XID Account.” You will be prompted to enter and confirm your email address, your full name, and a login ID. You have the option to make your email address your login ID; this is recommended.
- Once you have registered, you will receive an email with your login ID, a temporary secret key, and instructions for verifying your account.
- When you have finished the verification process and have chosen a new password, please return to the WSRP online application, change the tab on the login page from “HarvardKey” to “XID,” and log in. Please note that you will not be redirected from the XID site to the WSRP application page. You will need to return to this page to begin your application.
Note: Applicants with an active HarvardKey do not need to complete the XID process.
Within the online application, the following documents are required and must be uploaded in Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, or .txt format:
- A description of your proposed research project, not to exceed 1,250 words;
- The title and description of a women’s studies course related to your project, not to exceed one page;
- A description of your background in women’s studies, not to exceed 750 words;
- Curriculum vitae, not to exceed 10 pages;
- Writing sample, either a chapter or article, in electronic format.
Two letters of recommendation are also required.
For more information, visit the official website,