Deadline: 07 December 2017
Open to: African nationals
Benefits: a bursary of GBP 3,000 will be provided to each selected fellow
The Matasa Fellows Network is pleased to announce that eight fellowships will be awarded in 2017. Launched in 2015, the Matasa Fellows network seeks to develop a cohort of young African researchers with the skills and commitment to engage in policy-oriented research around the challenges of young people and employment in Africa. Its aim is to contribute to the development of outstanding young researchers who will ultimately become established policy researchers in their chosen fields. Each successful applicant will receive academic support and a small bursary to produce a high-quality synthesis paper and a policy brief relating to the broad theme of Youth Employment and Private Sector Growth in Africa. Under this theme, research contributions will critically explore a selection of the following themes:
- Private sector growth;
- Education and training;
- Digital technologies;
- Family and gender relations;
- Infrastructure, energy and engineering sectors growth;
- Young people as citizens and/or young people in policy processes;
- Conflict-affected settings;
- Migration and/or stretched livelihoods;
- Financial inclusion;
- Imagined Futures;
The synthesis papers will be published in a special issue of the IDS Bulletin.
The Matasa Fellows Network is open to African nationals – they need to fulfil the following criteria:
- 40 years old or younger at the time of application;
- Completed a Ph.D. within last two years or are in the final stages of completing a PhD;
- Background in social science, economics, agricultural economics, policy studies, development studies, agricultural or environmental sciences;
- Fluency in English;
- Able to travel to the UK in February 2018 for a one-week workshop.
- A bursary of GBP 3,000 will be provided to each selected fellow;
- All costs to participate in two workshops (one in the UK and one in Africa) will be covered.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please visit the official web page.